CANIBLE CHICKENS?

Jun 29, 2023
I need advice/help! I am so confused because today when I went to check on my flock I saw something very disturbing. When I went out one of my favorite Ameracauna chickens were trapped under and fence, still very much alive, and the other chickens in the flock had pecked and dug a whole into her lower back and were taking turns pecking and drinking from the wound on her back that they had made (sorry, I know it’s gross). They had plenty of water still in there container, there food was almost all the way full and had been given scratch grain earlier in the morning. We have had her in that coop for about 2 weeks now after being taken out because the hatchling she hatched with (a rooster) had been trampled to death in the coop after being introduced, so we felt the need to remove her from the coop for her safety. She has been removed again and put in her own tub in the area we put tubs with mama hens sitting on eggs. I am very confused and disturbed, please help! Do I put her back in? Do I keep her seperate? I need advice! (I have included a photo under this forum and I advice a graphic warning fyi for anyone who does not like blood or wounds ⚠️)

Attachments

• DBA71325-B19F-4D3E-9818-F8A59F29DF6F.jpeg
    DBA71325-B19F-4D3E-9818-F8A59F29DF6F.jpeg
    454.6 KB · Views: 44
Yes, chickens will cannibalize the weak among them. Do not put her back with the flock for now. Clip the feathers around the wound so you can see the extent of it. Wash it thoroughly and coat it with Neosporin Original - it should not have pain reliever in it. Be sure flies can't get to it to lay eggs in it. Wash and treat it twice daily till healed. If you see maggots, remove them immediately.

Yes, chickens will cannibalize the weak among them. Do not put her back with the flock for now. Clip the feathers around the wound so you can see the extent of it. Wash it thoroughly and coat it with Neosporin Original - it should not have pain reliever in it. Be sure flies can't get to it to lay eggs in it. Wash and treat it twice daily till healed. If you see maggots, remove them immediately.
Thank you very much I appreciate it! I will start doing that tommorow morning! Do you have any idea of how long I should wait before putting her back it? She also has some sort of thing wrong with her legs, she’s a very slow walker and kind of limps ever since she was hatched, could that be a reason they have started doing this to her?

If they have trouble walking it is kind of a sign to watch for being bullied. I would keep her separated for now. I had to separate a hen who lost balance for a few weeks. It was 6 months before zI could slowly put her back in the flock. She free ranged on the other side of the chicken netting during the day, and spent each night in a dog crate.

She should definitely stay separated until her wound is completely healed at the very least. When you do reintroduce her do it slowly, using a look don't touch method (keep her separated by chicken wire but in the same run space...you can even do this while she's healing). When you do reintroduce her it might be helpful to bring one hen from the flock and introduce them on her "turf." Once they're getting along reintroduce both hens to the rest of the flock. Make sure your run has lots of objects to break the line of sight so the newly reintroduced chickens can get away from bullies.

how long I should wait before putting her back it
It will take several weeks, maybe a couple of months for her wound to completely heal. You do not want it to scab over. Infection can set in under the scab. I like to put sterile saline in a spray bottle so I can thoroughly flush it to clean without scrubbing, then gently blot it dry with a clean towel, coat it with the Neosporin, then spray with Veterycin gel. Don't let it dry out.

What's your birds diet?
If there's anyone on the site that's not used to blood or wounds by now, they'll learn.
Haha I hope so. The diet they have is regular layers pellet with occasionally a mixed in supplement that helps with eggs, scratch grain in morning and evening and meal worms. And occasionally vegetables that are safe for them to eat almost once a week. During the winter they also get a head of cabbage since there are no bugs that they can reach, so we try to give them the best diet possible.

Back
Top Bottom