Canning and Home preserving

I never heard of that, so I looked it up. The site I found had blueberry cheong that sounded fantastic!
I tried it last fall with cranberry orange and it came out really good so I’ve been experimenting with different flavors. Lemon and the cranberry orange are really good in home brewed ginger ale, so I’ve been thinking of trying some in Kombucha during 2F.

Is that non-alcoholic? If so, I'd love the recipe!
Ginger ale? So easy! It can have some alcohol, the recipe I use is about 3% ABV, but you may want to check your own batch if you’re concerned about it.

Make a ginger bug, I followed these instructions https://fermentationadventure.com/how-to-make-a-ginger-bug-for-homemade-soda/

And this is the recipe I used https://fermentationadventure.com/how-to-make-homemade-ginger-beer-ale-soda-recipe-real-ginger/

I’ve made this before and this is the closest to what I remember from back in the day.

With any cheong there’s a risk of fermentation into alcohol of course, but if you watch it and see that happening you can stop it by filtering out the solids and putting the syrup in the fridge. It’s just equal amounts of sugar and fruit. I used a bag of cranberries and an orange, wrecked em in the food processor and then added the sugar and let it sit a few days.

We do not drink booze at all ever anymore so a cork would
knock us over. may be like a still?
Kombucha is not at all alcoholic. It is fermented tea and you can drink it straight or add flavors when bottling. For flavoring you can use fruit juice, fruit purées, chopped fruit, jams and jellies, or cheong. It requires air to ferment like a sourdough starter and you control how sour or sweet it is based on how long it ferments. Just taste each day until it’s where you want it, then flavor if you want, bottle it and put in the fridge.

The ginger ale will have some alcohol probably, but not much. The kids don’t even feel it they don’t drink booze. We don’t often and it hasn’t been an issue for us either. 🤷‍♀️

We do not drink booze at all ever anymore
Me either. I drink my homemade kombucha and I have never, ever gotten any kind of buzz from it.

It depends on the strain of yeast that is in the SCOBY ("mother"). If I let mine ferment longer, it just gets more sour. If I let it ferment a reaaallly long time, it's more sour than vinegar. But still not alcoholic.

Back
Top Bottom