Can't find an answer for this..(pics added)

AccidentalFarm

Crowing
13 Years
Mar 29, 2007
Texas
I have looked and looked and cannot come up with any info. I'm wondering about my little RIR roo. Or pullet. I've thought he was a he up until several days ago when I noticed the combs on the leghorns he is living with. Two of the leghorns have a very large, pink, fat comb while the 3rd leghorn's comb is not as developed. The RIR's comb, though is about a quarter the size of the leghorns. They are all 4 weeks old. I was so sure the RIR was a roo.... Can it be that RIR's just don't develope as quickly as Leghorns? Call me crazy, but I was so hoping he'd be a roo.

Alright, here are the pics:
This one's a definite roo:
DSC01350.jpg

This one, too:
DSC01342.jpg

This one's under suspicion:
DSC01347.jpg

and here's the RIR I wanted to be a roo:
DSC01344.jpg

DSC01343.jpg

What do you think? RIR=roo or pullet?

Last edited:
At 4 wks old, if his comb has any pink or redness to it, it's a boy. I'm sure we could tell with pics tho.

Jody

I'd say that rule applies to the majority, if not all of straight combed birds.

Jody

Well darn it! My little RIR roo's comb does not have any pink yet. Guess he's a she after all.
sad.png
How 'bout that..I'm one of the few that get a pullet by mistake out of an all roo order. Go figure!

OH! OH!! if you're looking for a rir roo, i have one that's about 4 weeks old! his name is tap tap. my son picked him out of the box at the feed store. told him to pick a pullet but turns out he picked a roo. my feed store orders from ideal. let me know if you're interested. i'll give him up for $3.
wink.png

Not necessarily looking for a roo- I was just hoping this RIR would be one. I have 3 other leghorn roo's and a polish roo- so, I'm already up to my eyeballs in 'em!

I personally think it is a roo. The comb may not be pink or red, but the comb growth at four weeks is alot in my opinion for it to be a girl.

Back
Top Bottom