Car advice please!

I have to say.. at least here... you can get an older model Ford F-150 for just about $6500.........

I DON'T agree about what you said about the 4x4, we have an '08 Ford F-150, 4x4 and not only does it cost more to RUN a 4x4, as in gas, because it's heavier but when you get stuck... YOU REALLLLLLLLLLYYYY GET STUCK. I believe our old model Explorer 4x4 had to be backed up 6ft to engage the 4x4. How the heck would that work? Our 4x4 now is great, its automatic engage but the biggest problem is using 4x4 in snow conditions you run the risk of getting stuck and not being able to get out. 4x4 should always be used as a last resort after already getting stuck.

I really like the old Explorers, the big beefsters, the ones that had the winch on them.

Last edited:
Land Rover? I don't know for you yanks but up here in the Great White North Land Rovers are known for three things: horrible fuel economy, unreliable, and very expensive for parts

the Chevy broke down? yep. but parts are common and reasonably priced and lots of parts in boneyards. Also technically simple so if its not rusted its worth fixing. here's what I know: A Full size truck (4X4) be it Ford or Chevy is far better than the small trucks (4x4) and burn the same fuel.

All the research in the world won't help you beyond a point with used vehicles: it's all a question of who owned it and did they maintain it properly. A high mileage vehicle well maintained and not beaten to death by a commercial user could be a very good deal. case in point: I visited my brother's farm and I noticed that he was now the proud owner of a Ford ranger previously owned by a plumber we know. conversation" Steph, why do You have Kevin's truck? I bought it. Are you "bleepin" kidding me? he beat the tar out of that truck and you'll be sorry. " He was.

Some guys own a truck to drive around in, known as "highway miles", i.e. a retired schoolteacher, whereas anybody in construction, farming, landscaping, etc. will work it hard.

How to tell: spend $50 and take it to a mechanic and get his opinion. It's well worth the $50. Buy a truck that was popular (sold in large numbers) so mechanics know that particular version and parts are plentiful. Does the truck look right or does it sag to one side or another? Your hubby is right about the chassis: a car chassis is a unibody, whereas a truck chassis is body on frame. When the engine is cold and you start it is there a puff of smoke? Is there smoke on full acceleration? If so its a bad sign. Do all the buttons, switches, and signals work properly? Oh yeah, look for signs that it was flooded (i.e. a truck from louisianna) and get the facts at carfax. If flooded stay away or you'll be chasing electrical gremlins forever. rub your finger in the muffler, if its black and dry its normal, if black and wet it burns oil.

pull the dipstick and check the oil, if its black, or low, the car is routinely ignored (new oil is the colour of honey, unless its a diesel, where the oil is always black like molasses). If an automatic, pull the auto tranny dipstick and smell it. If it smells burned the tranny is near death. If you do buy something with an auto tranny, change the oil (also called fluid) in the tranny. Go to one of those quick oil change places and STAND THERE AND WATCH THEM change the tranny fluid. there's a big scam where they bring the machine near your car, they don't do it, and charge you for it. Chrysler minivans are famous for tranny problems, that is if the owner doesn't change the fluid. Mine has 200,000 miles and the tranny is fine (it us rusting to death though).

good luck

Quote:
I second that one! A cared for car can last way longer than one that was neglected. Who ever owned my 93sc300 had the baby garaged for many years. Most can't tell it is turning 17.

That said, I have a friend who had a Nissan Xterra till he downsized. In this area, it's not the most popular Japanese car, but I haven't heard horror stories on them like dodge trannies, and landrover maintenance.

A trusted mechanic is worth their weight in gold.

I know I'm a member of a dying breed, but I will NEVER drive a Japanese vehicle. No offense to the Japanese intended either.

Quote:
I was just pointing out that my american made car came with a Japanese made motor and transmission.

If you really want a good 4X4 you need to get something before 1995.

The older you get the more reliable an the cheaper they are to fix. Also the electronics dont hold up to real off-roading.

Full sized is cheaper to run long term an has more room but takes way more skill to drive off road.

Nissans an Toyotas are good till about 1987.

The old Jeeps are great, before 1986.

Fullsized fords an Dodges are good up to about 1980.

Fullsized Chevys are good to about 1992.

Past those dates they all have bad fail points. Most are electronic related

As for repairs. No mater who makes it if you leave the pavement with it you will cook parts. Anything newer than 1990 gets costly just for labor. Also if you have to replace something the older it is the cheeper the parts, way cheeper. American is way cheaper on parts to. A 350 engine for a 95 an older fullsized chevy can be had used for about $300 an a reman. for about $1500. You wont find a non American engine for less than $1000 in a junk yard. The transmition for the same chevy is about $600.(used) The transmition for a 1990 Toy or Nissan is about $1500.(used) Ford parts are close to Chevy in price.

Toyota is the best Truck. The problems a small percentage of Toyotas are having is from a system made in Elkhart, In.

I got a 2001 Honda CR-V 6 years ago, and LOVE it. It's ugly, to be sure, but it has been dead reliable, solid, and gets good gas mileage (25mpg) for a 4-wheel drive. I can fit lots of groceries, shavings, feed, and 5 dogs in it. It was the smartest buy I could have made, and I commute 500 miles EVERY WEEK, for the past 6 years.
It now has 150k miles on it, and runs like a trooper. I plan to keep it another 150k, God willing.

Back
Top Bottom