Cardboard Coop

shroomie

In the Brooder
Apr 18, 2024
Is making a coop out of cardboard a bad idea? Itll only be for summer, I don't think I'll have the time to build an actual one until the semester ends in a month. Right now they sleep in a fenced up old desk LOL. Here's a quick little design I made, since it's not gonna be forever, might as well make it adorable!

coop.png

My hens enjoyed eating cardboard when they were able to get to it. Cardboard is a very tasty snack (to my weird girls at least). A cardboard coop sounds like a not very good idea because of how fast it may mold. If you really need/want an actual coop, you could buy a prefab coop for the time being.
I was planning on sealing it with plasti-dip to help with molding, so hopefully this won't be a problem. I had cardboard out for a day or two with the girls to see how they'd react and they were very uninterested in it.

Cardboard will be of no protection against racoon, weasel or dog, really anything can get in.
Outside weather will destroy it quickly,
It's a useless endeavor.
Put your work into something useful.
If you are handy with hammer and nails, a pretty good coop can be built with reclaimed materials.
Do you have family or friends that can help you with this kind of project?
A prefab coop will be costly, temporary, usually only good for 2 or 3 chickens, no matter what the advertisement says.

NO TO A CARDBOARD COOP!

Is making a coop out of cardboard a bad idea? Itll only be for summer, I don't think I'll have the time to build an actual one until the semester ends in a month. Right now they sleep in a fenced up old desk LOL.
If you want it to keep out predators, cardboard is a very bad idea. Any predator can get through cardboard.

It will get soggy and fall apart fairly quickly in rain.

But, as long as it stays dry, cardboard does work just fine to block wind and provide shade from the sun. And it will keep off a few raindrops here and there.

So whether it is a bad or a good idea will really depend on what you want it to do. If you have a run that is completely predator proof, putting cardboard inside to provide some shade and wind protection could be a good temporary idea.

Given how fast cardboard comes apart when it gets wet or even damp, I would not try to make any kind of a real coop from it. Just take a big box, turn it on its side, and put a few bricks or stones in the bottom to keep it from blowing around.

Here's a quick little design I made, since it's not gonna be forever, might as well make it adorable!
I agree that is cute. But if you are going to take the time to build something that elaborate, I think you should do it with sturdier materials, not with cardboard.

Cardboard will be of no protection against racoon, weasel or dog, really anything can get in.
Outside weather will destroy it quickly,
It's a useless endeavor.
Put your work into something useful.
If you are handy with hammer and nails, a pretty good coop can be built with reclaimed materials.
Do you have family or friends that can help you with this kind of project?
A prefab coop will be costly, temporary, usually only good for 2 or 3 chickens, no matter what the advertisement says.

NO TO A CARDBOARD COOP!
I've been collecting free plywood and pallets from FB marketplace for a bit, I was planning on making something from that. I do have a couple friends that could help, so I'll probably just stick to the reclaimed materials. Sad I won't be able to make it a cute little house :(

If you want it to keep out predators, cardboard is a very bad idea. Any predator can get through cardboard.

It will get soggy and fall apart fairly quickly in rain.

But, as long as it stays dry, cardboard does work just fine to block wind and provide shade from the sun. And it will keep off a few raindrops here and there.

So whether it is a bad or a good idea will really depend on what you want it to do. If you have a run that is completely predator proof, putting cardboard inside to provide some shade and wind protection could be a good temporary idea.

Given how fast cardboard comes apart when it gets wet or even damp, I would not try to make any kind of a real coop from it. Just take a big box, turn it on its side, and put a few bricks or stones in the bottom to keep it from blowing around.

I agree that is cute. But if you are going to take the time to build something that elaborate, I think you should do it with sturdier materials, not with cardboard.
Thank you! And you're right, I'll probably just use my boxes as shade or maybe mental stimulus for the chickens instead. Thankfully I live in California where it's super dry, but it doesn't hurt to be careful.

Back
Top Bottom