Cardboard Vs Styrofoam

BirdBoy88

Angel Egg
12 Years
Dec 26, 2007
Maryland
My bator will be full soon and some eggs will hatch sooner than others so i wanted to put a half of egg carton in the bator and lay the eggs on that to hatch on so less mess and doesn't make the bator smell while the other eggs are still incubating

i've heard cardboard egg carton will mess up the humidity? or something i don't know.. but witch is better to put in?

Cardboard or Styrofoam

I've thought about trying to "rig" something up in my incubator with an egg carton. How does that work?

Wait a minute, something doesn't sound right here. If some eggs are going to hatch before others, you really need a different 'bator/hatcher for the ones that are before day 18 and the ones that are after day 18 because the humidity has to be a lot higher for the days after 18.

If you've already got that and I mis-understood, forget that part.

When I prepared the second 'bator for the hatch, I put the pulpy egg cartons in and let it get up to the desired humidity before I put the eggs into them. If you can do it that way, there shouldn't be any difference what kind of cartons you use.

Susan

Quote:
Yea i know all about that but i've done this before and my eggs hatch fine.. i do make the humidity a little high and it doesn't bother the other eggs

Mattake2 : all i'm doing is when day 18 comes i just cut a piece of the egg carton and take one turner out and place the carton there and put the eggs thats are going to hatch in the carton.. while the other eggs are still turning

( most people don't like that and say not to do it but it works fine for me.. i'll be buying a new bator as a htacher next month so until then it'll be this way
smile.png

Well, dang, I'm glad to hear that !!!!
I shoulda known you had it all control, and....

under the circumstances I would definitely think styrofoam would be a better choice

Susan

Last edited:
Quote:
I also like the cardboard ones better, but given the particular way he is using them, I thought the styrofoam ones would have less impact on his humidity. ???? Maybe not.

And, that's interesting about cutting a hole in the bottom. I hadn't heard that before. It's too late for this hatch, but I'll do it for the next.....How big? Dime size? Just a knitting needle worth?

Susan

I cut most of the bottom (cup part) off of styrofoam egg cartons and am using the holey top part as a frame for holding incubating eggs. This holds the eggs at a slight angle, so it's easier to keep the wide end a bit elevated. When I get to day 18 should I put the eggs into whole cartons for hatching?

I think anyone using styrofoam cartons for incubating or hatching should ventilate the bottom. Good air circulation will keep the eggs a more even temp and humidity.

Wouldn't cardboard cartons harbor bacteria?

Back
Top Bottom