Careful with your heat lamps.

I recommend everyone to use heat plates for this reason. Heat lamps are too much of a hazard, both for the chicks, you, and your entire house. The chicks can fly up and burn themselves to death on the heat lamp if they get startled; chickens see in slow motion, so lights are an annoyance; you can burn yourself if you're not careful; and worse than burning yourself, you can burn your whole house down.

I used a few heat lamps for mine years ago. I did EVERYTHING too to secure every part of the fixtures. I stopped using any when I went out on one 0-degree morning, and I found the bulb had exploded inside the protective cage and the tinier pieces were laying on the bedding beneath. I watched my chickens closely for days following that, because I was very worried one or more may have ingested a piece of glass. FORTUNATELY, it all turned out fine. But, that’s when I decided either a safer heat source or no heat at all.

I do have to admit that, as much I don't like them, I have used heat lamps so many times before. Overall, definitely not the safest option, but of course it still works. Whenever I pass by the brooder I always check the temperature with one of those heat thermometer things (I forgot what you really call them). I also let the chicks out so they can roam around on the floor during the day with supervision so they can get away from the heat a few times like they would if their dam was raising them.

Back
Top Bottom