Cat 3-4? Hurricane Michael

EggWalrus

Free Ranging
6 Years
Aug 14, 2017
Southeast Alabama
Just great! Just heard on the news that the hurricane's projected path about to pass within 10 miles of me. will be a Cat 3 Major Hurricane.
Looks like I'm in for a whole lot of chicken losses since I have nothing big enough to protect them in.
I love my birds but I'm getting out of Dodge for this storm, And I can't fit over 100 birds in the bathroom.
About the only thing I can think if is nail up some pieces of plywood on the windward side of the pen. But I'm afraid even that would probably get blown away with the wind speed they are projecting. I guess I could start culling and processing and buy a bunch of ice. They are already talking about a good chance of power failure for up to a week, so the freezer is out of the question. If I could get them all frozen before the storm, I could keep them on ice till it passes then hang them in the smoke house till the power comes back on.
I'm starting to freak out a bit.
I don't know what the heck to do.
:he

Last edited:
Next day after water backed off, we saw why the house felt like it was in an Earthquake. The wind/water had moved/floated the house about 50 yards from where it was sitting on a foundation and was now in the middle of a field!

Over the next week, neighbors came together cooking all meat before it went bad, sharing what ever they could to make it easier on everyone. It was over a week before we saw anyone from the outside of the destruction area. We walked about a mile to the beach before that and saw motorcycles, fridges and even a car (a VW) stuck 20 feet up in trees. From the railroad tracks to the beach (3/4 mile), there was nothing left but debris. Not a single building left standing. Only cement door steps and a few foundations. It looked worse than a war zone.

But enough writing about all that hell. I'm freaking out enough already. My brother says not to worry, it won't be that bad. Well, other than the tornado from Eloise he's never been thru that kinda stuff. He was too young to remember Eloise and he's never been thru a hurricane first hand or any where near one afterwards to know what is like.

Sorry it was so long a post but I just had to get it out.
We rode out Rita, we live about an hour from the coast. I didn’t like the destructive sounds!!! We were very lucky with minimal damage. for you and your property!!!

WOW ! Its time for you to move north. Give the chickens a chance. I just heard its down to a cat 2 .
It's a cat 4 with 150mph winds right now and the weather men on the news just said it once sun gets up it will probably go over 155 mph, making it a Cat 5. This is the strongest hurricane to hit the FLoria panhandle in recorded history. This storm is gonna be worse than Katrina with the exception that there isn't a major city below sea level that could flood. Everyone around here seek shelter and try to stay safe.

Back
Top Bottom