Cat in the hen house!

Ang

Songster
12 Years
Jan 2, 2008
West Central Illinois
This morning I opened the coop door and started to break the ice out of the water bowls. I happened to glance over and saw a cat curled up in a nest box! She is one of ours and has been known to hang out with the chickens. I am not sure if she got shut in or if she opened the hinged lid to the nest boxes and crawled in. The nest boxes are an old doghouse that we made into 3 sections and so they are long and can actually hold about 4 hens. The cat and a hen were curled up together in one of the boxes. Cracked me up!

That's funny, guess when your cold you just want to snuggle.
lol.png

I have 5 barn cats that I keep in the chicken coop all winter long. They don't seem to mind hanging out together. Often when I come in there is a ball of cats sleeping under the heat lamp, so cute! Occasionally one mamacat and my big barred rock girl have "words", but I think the barred rock is just reminding the cat who pays the rent.......in eggs of course!

Our barn cats don't hang out in the coop, unless the chickens are out free ranging. Once one of our cats got shut in the coop for the night, but the inside of our coop is split into a "chicken side" and a "people side" (where we store the feed, tools, etc.). The cat was on the people side and simply curled up in the straw bales to stay warm. Thankfully it didn't get very cold that night! But she sure was hungry when we opened up the coop the next day.

I have 2 outside cats that love to stay in the henhouse...curl up in a nest box in the evenings...sometimes I just leave them in overnight...never know, they might catch a mouse!..

yep I have coop cats too...lol!

I've told the story before but I think its worth hearing again.
smile.png

A female stray showed up last summer,skin and bones and pregnant of course!
th.gif

I fed her and fattened her up good, she gave birth in one of the nest boxes.....
D.gif
she had two babies, one only lived a few weeks
hit.gif
But now her and her remaining baby are my coop cats
yippiechickie.gif

By the way they are both spay now too........
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom