Catching and taming a Roo

Taming them can be easier than you think. Relax a little and take your time to do process with minimal stress on all parties. Male is in poor feather. He also appears broody which can explain his reaction to your advances on the chicks. Yes, game roosters have potential for going broody and you can use that in your favor.

For now I would leave the spurs alone. Work on taming the group first.

I will suggest first you manipulate your feeding regimen. What are you currently feeding them and how it is applied (i.e. free-choice, restricted ration, when you feel like it)?

Do you have access to live meal worms?
Yes he started losing his feathers 4 weeks ago :( How can you tell if he broody? that's so interesting I didn't know roosters could be broody! I feed them free choice, right now the group is on chick feed until the chicks are old enough to eat adult feed. I also give them dried meal worms and fresh veggies and fruit every couple of days to change it up. How should I change this? Chanticleer (the rooster) will almost eat from my hand, you could see him contemplating it but i guess he doesnt fully trust me yet. The hen and chicks on the other hand don't even consider hand feeding, He will call them over but they are still weary. How can I tame them?

Spend time with them sitting outside very close to their enclosure. When you first apply feed, do it in small amounts. Make them approach you to eat but do not look at them. Can get some live meal worms? They are much more effective at distracting chicks in particular. After you go through an interaction session, then give the amount of feed you think they can consume but try not to over do it. Nothing wrong with having them deplete their crops a couple times per day.

He is in really poor feather and molt of actual body feathers not likely underway yet. I see no evidence for molt beyond flight feathers of wings.

See thread below for some broody rooster stuff.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/what-to-look-for-in-a-broody-rooster.882368/

Spend time with them sitting outside very close to their enclosure. When you first apply feed, do it in small amounts. Make them approach you to eat but do not look at them. Can get some live meal worms? They are much more effective at distracting chicks in particular. After you go through an interaction session, then give the amount of feed you think they can consume but try not to over do it. Nothing wrong with having them deplete their crops a couple times per day.

He is in really poor feather and molt of actual body feathers not likely underway yet. I see no evidence for molt beyond flight feathers of wings.

See thread below for some broody rooster stuff.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/what-to-look-for-in-a-broody-rooster.882368/
Wow that link was so insightful! That's exactly how has been acting! Ill look for some live meal works and try the tactic you've suggested! What can I do about his feathers? I contacted the person who gave them to me and he said it was fine but I don't know

Allow him to go through his molt. He will come out on the other side looking gorgeous. Make so he can dust bath frequently. Once chicks start roosting up, make certain he has option to roost in location where his feathers do not contact walls or other structures.

Allow him to go through his molt. He will come out on the other side looking gorgeous. Make so he can dust bath frequently. Once chicks start roosting up, make certain he has option to roost in location where his feathers do not contact walls or other structures.
ok awesome! I have learned so much! thank you!

I have made great progress! Today Chanticleer saw my other hens eating out of my hands and decided that he wanted to try it too! the game hen is still a little weary but they definitely trust me more. When I head over to their area all 10 (Rooster, chicks, and hen included) come running and flock around my feet so yay! Hopefully the progress continues and eventually I can pet them and Chanticleer will relax enough for me to trim those talons!

Catching a chicken

This hasn't been addressed here, so listen up. Simplest, least stressful
way to catch ANY chicken is to approach the bird in the dark while it is roosting. Get a helper to suddenly shine a light in it's eyes and you grab the bird off the roost. Be gentle but FIRM. Then you can take the bird into a lighted area and do whatever is needed.

Back
Top Bottom