Caught and Relocated a Raccoon

I keep having people releasing varmints by me. I don't understand why people think it's ok to give their problems to someone else. They say they didn't see the house because of the trees. In less than 4 years I have gotten 105 raccoons about the same in opossum. Along with chipmunk and pine squirrels that have caused damage to my vehicles.
In Nohio (special emphasis on the "No"), it is illegal to release vermin. If you catch them, on your property, you are allowed to release them, on your property, or dispatch them on your property.

People that take their problem and move it to make it someone else's problem are just plain evil.

In Nohio (special emphasis on the "No"), it is illegal to release vermin. If you catch them, on your property, you are allowed to release them, on your property, or dispatch them on your property.

People that take their problem and move it to make it someone else's problem are just plain evil.
Same here, but try to get something done about it even with camera footage showing license plate, face of the person and no trespassing signs.

You can relocate raccoons here. You can’t relocate foxes. They (Dept of Natural Resources) only want an animal that has rabies symptoms or has attacked someone. Raccoons move in the evening and night. If one is out during the day, that is suspicious. If they are out during the day and walking slowly, head down and move toward a human or another animal, that’s an indication of rabies. I would normally not relocate, but this raccoon was acting perfectly normal before and after being caught. The area I released him in is a large swamp/forest area on the river. People don’t live there. When I opened the trap door, he scurried out and was gone. I was born and raised here and have hunted and fished on the river for years and have a pretty good understanding of typical animal behavior. The raccoon being on my farm is not unusual because I live between the Ocmulgee and Flint Rivers with multiple feeder creeks and streams all around. if I’m comfortable relocating, that’s what I do and I don’t relocate them to a place where others live. I take them to the river and let them go.
So, what you're attempting to state is that there are no occupied properties closer to that river than you do? If that is not the case, face it you are making your problem someone else's problem, without getting their permission to do so.

Same here, but try to get something done about it even with camera footage showing license plate, face of the person and no trespassing signs.
I fully comprehend your situation. Evil cretins let loose vermin on, or close to your property and the COWARDLY cops and game wardens won't even consider following their oath to uphold the law and skitter away like the vermin that they truly are.

We live in deep rural Missouri.

Last year we had a cat and a pet rabbit dumped on us. I was able to catch the rabbit. It was beautiful and I was able to rehome it but the cat killed at least one, maybe two of my free range roosters that was roosting in the hay loft before I was able to catch it. I was able to rehome it also.

2 of our 6 dogs were dumped on us when they were just puppies 7 weeks old. We never turn away a dog or kitten that shows up on our doorstep. But after losing 1-2 pet roosters to a full grown cat I doubt if I will be as 'understanding' of an adult one should I be able to catch it in my live trap in the future.

Seems like people drive by, say, oh look, these homes look Amish, Amish LOVE animals quick stop and leave it (whatever they don't want) here, it will have a good home.

Truth be told, nope, not all Amish are welcoming to stray animals and not all Amish treat their animals that well. Our other 4 dogs came as rescues from an Amish puppy mill.

I agree. The best way to deal with any 'coon, 'possum or any other wildlife that is preying on your chickens is a quick SSS shoot shovel and shut up. Don't make it somebody else's problem to deal with. We have enough challenges where we live that we don't need any more. Luckily, in Missouri any wild animal that is considered a threat to livestock can be shot on sight with the exception of birds of prey. As the conservation agent I talked to about a fox problem told me, don't try to catch it in a live trap. You can't out fox a fox.

I don't enjoy shooting any varmint that I catch that is a potential threat to my birds but it is something that if you live rural and you keep chickens or any other live stock that you have to learn to deal with.

We have a private war against Raccoons and Opossums. Opossums kill my birds and spread diseases. Raccoons may be the poster child for the animal rights people but they are extremely destructive. August 4, 2015 our 90'x50' livestock/equipment barn burned to the ground. Fire investors blamed the fire on damaged electrical wires caused by a large family of Raccoons, one had been electrocuted and the rest died in the fire.
100_0488.jpg
100_0487.jpg

Last year we had a cat and a pet rabbit dumped on us. I was able to catch the rabbit. It was beautiful and I was able to rehome it but the cat killed at least one, maybe two of my free range roosters that was roosting in the hay loft before I was able to catch it. I was able to rehome it also.

2 of our 6 dogs were dumped on us when they were just puppies 7 weeks old. We never turn away a dog or kitten that shows up on our doorstep. But after losing 1-2 pet roosters to a full grown cat I doubt if I will be as 'understanding' of an adult one should I be able to catch it in my live trap in the future.

Seems like people drive by, say, oh look, these homes look Amish, Amish LOVE animals quick stop and leave it (whatever they don't want) here, it will have a good home.

Truth be told, nope, not all Amish are welcoming to stray animals and not all Amish treat their animals that well. Our other 4 dogs came as rescues from an Amish puppy mill.

I agree. The best way to deal with any 'coon, 'possum or any other wildlife that is preying on your chickens is a quick SSS shoot shovel and shut up. Don't make it somebody else's problem to deal with. We have enough challenges where we live that we don't need any more. Luckily, in Missouri any wild animal that is considered a threat to livestock can be shot on sight with the exception of birds of prey. As the conservation agent I talked to about a fox problem told me, don't try to catch it in a live trap. You can't out fox a fox.

I don't enjoy shooting any varmint that I catch that is a potential threat to my birds but it is something that if you live rural and you keep chickens or any other live stock that you have to learn to deal with.
I read that it’s better to not kill or remove any predators and beef up security instead (secure coop, run, LGDs…), because it’s better to have a predator in your area that has been frustrated or scared off and given up on getting to your livestock than a never ending parade of new predators (because the niche will be filled again) that will each challenge your defenses again and might be successful before you know they are even there… A The devil you know is better than the devil that you don’t kind of thing.

I read that it’s better to not kill or remove any predators and beef up security instead (secure coop, run, LGDs…), because it’s better to have a predator in your area that has been frustrated or scared off and given up on getting to your livestock than a never ending parade of new predators (because the niche will be filled again) that will each challenge your defenses again and might be successful before you know they are even there… A The devil you know is better than the devil that you don’t kind of thing.
That's true if it's a lone male. But when females have young the newbies have to learn.. so it's never ending.

I use any method of killing 'coons that are available. From shootin' the bastids to the old Golden Malrin cola trick. Unfortunately, the manufacturers of Golden Malrin changed their formula, placing some ingredient that 'coons are repelled. Perhaps, for the smell or taste.

In 2013, which was prior to the reformulation, I killed 139 (that were counted ... who knows how many left prior to their demise). Shot around another thirty (37 to be exact). Shined and shot two, just last night ...

I know that I've lowered the population, but they're still overruning my backyard and out buildings.

Coyotes are another story. I enjoy shootin' 'yotes. For raccoons, I just sit outside on my lower patio and shine 'em. 'yotes, on the other hand, I'll either stock my wooded areas or take a stand by my creek. Those blasted 'yotes are nasty critters.

Back
Top Bottom