Change of plans

Pics
I got a deal I couldn't resist for Klaus and Delilah, so they went to their new home to rule the roost over some of their offspring and others I hatched and sold to the same gentleman. They have a very nice place, so I'm okay with it. He also bought 2 of the chicks I currently have. It was strange after they left this morning, I sat in the grow out pen with the littles and realized how relaxed everything was, then I went and took the ladies saddles off, it was almost like a breath of fresh air. ❤️

I got a deal I couldn't resist for Klaus and Delilah, so they went to their new home to rule the roost over some of their offspring and others I hatched and sold to the same gentleman. They have a very nice place, so I'm okay with it. He also bought 2 of the chicks I currently have. It was strange after they left this morning, I sat in the grow out pen with the littles and realized how relaxed everything was, then I went and took the ladies saddles off, it was almost like a breath of fresh air. ❤️
You did good ;)

I found a great home for an "extra" drake. I hemmed and hawed worried he would be ok and safe... turned out he got to have TWO females of his breed all to himself at his new home, with NO other drakes!

Gosh... we should all be so lucky in life ;)

The whole car trip there he was scared and hiding in the back of the plastic tub I used to move him. He looked at me with eyes that accused me of taking him to slaughter. It was horrible. I had to cover it with a towel so he would calm down. I sang him the little songs I used as lullabies, but he just shivered and cried.

But if you could have seen his face when my spouse brought him to the new barn to meet his girls! I saw his face and he was shocked and so overjoyed I can't forget it.

Meanwhile my life with one-less drake in the pond was so much easier...

We worry... but sometimes it is best... :)

You did good ;)

I found a great home for an "extra" drake. I hemmed and hawed worried he would be ok and safe... turned out he got to have TWO females of his breed all to himself at his new home, with NO other drakes!

Gosh... we should all be so lucky in life ;)

The whole car trip there he was scared and hiding in the back of the plastic tub I used to move him. He looked at me with eyes that accused me of taking him to slaughter. It was horrible. I had to cover it with a towel so he would calm down. I sang him the little songs I used as lullabies, but he just shivered and cried.

But if you could have seen his face when my spouse brought him to the new barn to meet his girls! I saw his face and he was shocked and so overjoyed I can't forget it.

Meanwhile my life with one-less drake in the pond was so much easier...

We worry... but sometimes it is best... :)
I appreciate that! I feel good about the decision, and if I ever change my mind there is no shortage of roos.

Dahlia's clutch is hatching, these are all Delilah and Klaus eggs, 2 blues so far❤️ I've got a ton of updates to post, but have been crazy busy, so I'll get to it this weekend

Attachments

• 20231017_162059.jpg
    20231017_162059.jpg
    362.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 20231017_162115.jpg
    20231017_162115.jpg
    600 KB · Views: 10
Dahlia's clutch is hatching, these are all Delilah and Klaus eggs, 2 blues so far❤️ I've got a ton of updates to post, but have been crazy busy, so I'll get to it this weekend
Ended up with 4 out of 5 eggs hatching, I think 3 blue and 1 black, I can't get within 4 feet of them without her getting hostile, so I'll just wait till she brings them outside

(Uninformed... Ok, "dumb" question ;) )

In humans we often look a lot like one parent at birth, then look like the other later on.

Do chicks of a mixed marriage change over time or do they choose one side, or both sides and stay there their whole life?

(Uninformed... Ok, "dumb" question ;) )

In humans we often look a lot like one parent at birth, then look like the other later on.

Do chicks of a mixed marriage change over time or do they choose one side, or both sides and stay there their whole life?
It's more about color with chickens (and other factors in other instances), so since the dad was black and mom was blue the chicks can only be black or blue.

Last edited:
And a black chick will always grow up to be a black hen or she might grow into a blue hen?
A blue chick grows up to be a blue hen or rooster.
A black chick grows up to be a black hen or rooster.

Usually if you have both blacks and blues, you can sort them out reliably at any age after hatching.

Dark blues can be confusing, as chicks and as adults, because they are almost black but not quite. But blacks do not turn out to be light blues, and light blues do not turn out to be blacks.

Back
Top Bottom