Chantecler or Orpington?

amberoliver

Hatching
8 Years
Apr 26, 2011
I have an adult buff hen, with a very small (almost non-existent, it's a flat red spot above the beak) comb and also very little wattle. I thought perhaps she was an Orpington but then I noticed that she has very yellow legs, more yellow than the Orpington, more like the Chantecler. (But we live in central Texas so I find it odd that our friend we got the chickens from would have purchased a Chantecler for our climate?) I'd like to post a pic here but I'm new and can't post pics yet. I do, however, have pictures on my profile page, if you can see that? It doesn't *really* matter which but I am curious. So should I go more with the flat comb or with the yellow legs?

Orpingtons have single combs so I doubt it's an Orpington. I looked at your pics but can't really see what the comb looks like. Does it look like your Wyandottes' combs? It could be a buff Wyandotte. Wyandottes have rose combs where Chanteclers have cushion combs.

Yes, my Wyandottes have bigger combs than she does.. it really just looks like a flat spot, though it might be raised just a little bit, like a small cushion comb or something. I'll try to get a better picture of it..

I've added a few more pictures to my BYC page.. I tried to get better pictures of "Agnes" comb.. but she's camera shy! Sometimes from some angles it looks like a completely flat red spot, but it isn't, it's slightly raised but not very much.

I guess I'm leaning towards Chantecler, too. I haven't had a chance to go back over to the friend's house we bought her from, to ask if he knows.

I think you need 10 posts to post a pic? That must be somewhat new because I am seeing a lot of complaints about it. Maybe there were some problems. A picture would help a lot with identification.

Is it 10? I don't know.. but it'll be nice when I can. It'll help a lot when I can post pics in here. In the meantime, if you click on "view my BYC page" I have my pics there...

welcome-byc.gif

She's a pretty Buff Chantecler!
smile.png

(One of the few hatcheries that carry Chanteclers is Ideal Poultry, which is located in Texas. This may be the reason your friend got a Chantecler. She may have been part of a "Surprise Pullet Special."
hu.gif
)

Oh, wow! Thanks for the tip on the hatchery in Texas. I hadn't heard of it yet. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom