Chat room for non religious poultry keepers! :D

This year's semi-finals were a mess IMO. Poland passed while Georgia didn't (that's a whole different story).

For real though! What a Eurovision to start on, huh? šŸ¤­

I guess I feel a little better about the whole non-broody thing now, I'm still pretty mad about it, I've got a laying silkie mix with a nest filled with eggs, and she's still not broody!:barnie

How old is she? How long has she been laying? A lot of that depends on what they're mixed with, but my Silkies and Silkie mixes have all been crazy about brooding pretty early on. :rolleyes:

For real though! What a Eurovision to start on, huh? šŸ¤­

How old is she? How long has she been laying? A lot of that depends on what they're mixed with, but my Silkies and Silkie mixes have all been crazy about brooding pretty early on. :rolleyes:

Definitely a Eurovision that will be remembered, be glad you started on such a historical year! As for Ursula, she's been laying for 2-3 weeks. Don't know what she's mixed with though

Ah, yeah, that would make it hard to predict. If she's mixed with a breed that's not known to be broody, she may take a while to decide to, if she ever does. Unfortunately for both ends of the spectrum, those wanting broodies and those not wanting them, there is no on-off switch for the trait. :hmm But I'm sending many broody thoughts about Ursula your way! :fl

Ah, yeah, that would make it hard to predict. If she's mixed with a breed that's not known to be broody, she may take a while to decide to, if she ever does. Unfortunately for both ends of the spectrum, those wanting broodies and those not wanting them, there is no on-off switch for the trait. :hmm But I'm sending many broody thoughts about Ursula your way! :fl

I definitely know that she's a back cross from a silkie, or at least a silkie mix to silkie mix cross that ended up with a lot of the silkie traits. Other than the straight comb and the skin color, she's unrecognizable from a hatchery quality silkie
20230311_133342.jpg

Oh, I love her! šŸ˜ She would have to have come from two parents at least carrying the gene for silkied feathering, yes, so hopefully that means she's got a bit more Silkie in her and will want to hatch eggs for you. :fl

I truly hope so :fl ! Now that she's more mature, her crest has become poofieršŸ„ŗ
IMG-9cc38cd594dffc22d05fd86638759b31-V.jpg

And they always seem to be the most willing to go out when it's raining too, Ursula will insist on sleeping outside the sheltered area of their pen, Napoleon will follow. Cruella goes in the shelter, calls for everyone to come, but NO! They MUST sleep outside! And Cruella being the only normal feathered bird in the flock finally accepts and goes out, UT she won't look like a wet puppy in the morning!

No joke, my smooth-feathered birds will mostly stick to their coop or the covered part of their run on a rainy day, but the silkied ones insist on being out in it. šŸ˜© I've even had to take towels out to dry some of them off at roost time after they've spent all day getting soaked down to the skin in the rain! Crazy birds!

Back
Top Bottom