Chat room for non religious poultry keepers! :D

Pics
I agree, the darker the egg, the more pigment has been laid down over what is essentially a white egg. There are basically only two color eggs, white and blue. As someone above mentioned, you can tell the actual color of the egg by breaking it open and looking at the inside. Green and olive eggs are actually blue eggs with different amounts of brown pigment laid down over them. Brown, pink, tan and cream eggs, etc., are white ones with brown pigment over them. The pigment is a bit sticky, so the darker the egg the wetter it is, like a coat of paint. Hence the bedding in the nest is more likely to stick to the darker eggs.
That’s very interesting! I never thought about that. I think I’ll only keep light egg layers then 🤣🤣🤣 well and blue and green cause I like colorful eggs lol I noticed though the lighter eggs tend to get poop stained more and it’s hard to get off and much more visible on a white egg lol so it’s a catch 22 lol

That’s very interesting! I never thought about that. I think I’ll only keep light egg layers then 🤣🤣🤣 well and blue and green cause I like colorful eggs lol I noticed though the lighter eggs tend to get poop stained more and it’s hard to get off and much more visible on a white egg lol so it’s a catch 22 lol
True that! But if you keep your nests clean and provide plenty of roosting space ABOVE the nests, that shouldn't be much of a problem. Works for me, anyway.

True that! But if you keep your nests clean and provide plenty of roosting space ABOVE the nests, that shouldn't be much of a problem. Works for me, anyway.
Very good points! When I still had them, I tried to keep the nests sparkly lol but occasionally I would get birds with poppy butts or they’d drag mud in there on rainy days, etc. and that would get on the eggs.

Just before I get my eggs ready to sell, I fill a sink with warm water with a squirt of Dawn dish soap and a dash of bleach. I put a dozen eggs in a little wire basket and dunk them in the soapy water a couple times. Then I rinse them under running water and, if needed, wipe with a paper towel. If there's a poop stain it usually comes right off or at least fades so it's not noticeable. If one is really stained it goes in the bin for my family or I feed it to the dogs, I won't sell an ugly egg.

Back
Top Bottom