Chat room for non religious poultry keepers! :D

Years ago I had an American kestrel try repeatedly to get to the White Leghorn that was standing next to me. I kept stepping between the bird and the kestrel and it kept trying. This went on for about a half an hour. It's amazing that a bird the size of a dove would try for a full grown Leghorn.

Wow, talk about eyes bigger than your stomach on that one! My wicked little dinosaurs would have probably tried to eat it. If it's smaller than them, that's usually their first inclination. 🤭

Only thing I've ever had dive-bomb me that I can recall, is a wild turkey. And I was driving. Fast.

It just jumped from the rocky outcropping at the side of the road and went right over the hood of my car. Scared the bejeebies out of me!!!

Once, on my way to a poultry show further south in Indiana, we were driving through an area that was like foothills almost, very steep and rocky hills that this big, 8-lane highway we were on carved through, and a wild turkey did the same thing. It leapt off the hill above the highway and flew right over our car as we went along! I was so scared it was going to end up getting hit by one of the other cars, but somehow it managed to fly just above everyone and make it to the edge of the road before we were too far away to see it anymore! :th

My OEGB could be LOUD, especially the roo, but the hens too. Now that they're outside, they are much much better.

Seriously, my female Domestic ducks are louder. And they all sound like the Penguin from the old 60s Batman show.

Thank goodness for Muscovy!!!

My OEGBs are mouthy, too! The girls always seem to have something to say, and the boys are constantly crowing all day. 🤭 And that description of mallard-derived female duck quacking is spot on. Sounds like they just heard the funniest joke whenever they set off. HAW-HAW-HAW-HAW-HAW!!! 🤣

Anyone know if the fake owl statues actually help deter them? I've never tried one
I know they don't deter pigeons, lol! In Sun City, AZ, there was one on a house, and it was the only house in the neighborhood that was covered with pigeons! There were even pigeons perched on the owl! :lau

Back
Top Bottom