Chat room for non religious poultry keepers! :D

Anyone know if the fake owl statues actually help deter them? I've never tried one
I had fake owls all over my property last summer. Works like a charm, so long as you move them around a little bit every day. Sometimes I would have them surrounding the gardens, some days I moved them to huddling around the coop/run, and sometimes I mounted them on tall posts. Keeps most everything from coming around. I could not do it this year, though, as my now-adult roosters see them as a threat and are very ornery whenever they see them.

What I mean is, how do your roosters react to these owls? I know what ornery means.
They come out of the coop, see them, and go into attack mode. They will either fight with the fencing to try to get at them, or attack me. They have 2" spurs now, and I have already had one of them jam their spur the entire length into my knee cap. I do everything in my power to not rile them up now. 😅

They come out of the coop, see them, and go into attack mode. They will either fight with the fencing to try to get at them, or attack me. They have 2" spurs now, and I have already had one of them jam their spur the entire length into my knee cap. I do everything in my power to not rile them up now. 😅
Ow! I don't blame you, that had to hurt! 😵

Ow! I don't blame you, that had to hurt! 😵
I threatened to cut off his wings and dunk them in BBQ sauce, so yeah, it hurt. Thankfully, though, both of the roos are generally very well behaved. I have trained my big one to listen to hand commands, and the small one (Sir Kicks-a-Lot; not his real name, but his new nickname), is finally catching onto them. The big one is a little rowdy lately, as I am teaching him a new command, and he is not liking it. 😂

I threatened to cut off his wings and dunk them in BBQ sauce, so yeah, it hurt. Thankfully, though, both of the roos are generally very well behaved. I have trained my big one to listen to hand commands, and the small one (Sir Kicks-a-Lot; not his real name, but his new nickname), is finally catching onto them. The big one is a little rowdy lately, as I am teaching him a new command, and he is not liking it. 😂
How does one teach a chicken commands?

Man... One of my old, old, old, old hens passed away overnight, and I was writing up a post about her for my thread like I always do and realized, holy cow, I was still a just kid when I got that bird! Like, not a little kid or anything, I was little when my family first got the chickens like 18 years ago, but still! :th

I think I might be having a crisis about my age now.
eek run in circles.gif
🤣

Man... One of my old, old, old, old hens passed away overnight, and I was writing up a post about her for my thread like I always do and realized, holy cow, I was still a just kid when I got that bird! Like, not a little kid or anything, I was little when my family first got the chickens like 18 years ago, but still! :th

I think I might be having a crisis about my age now. View attachment 3636082 🤣
How old are you!? 🤨😜

Back
Top Bottom