Chat room for non religious poultry keepers! :D

Oh, I do hear a lot of critters, especially birds. For a while every evening at dusk there would be a whippoorwill just outside, so amazing to hear! And in the Spring there was a pair of Great Horned Owls around dusk. They left for the summer, but at least one is back.

Oh, that's right, my first Fall here, there was a pack of coyotes out in the distance! And each night, their howls would get closer. Until one night they were in our woods! Like, right outside. We tried to find them and scare them off but we never saw them.

And the fisher. Saw it once during my first winter here, then never again, not even tracks (thank goodness!).

Okay, those are animals I definitely would never see in the city, lol.

We've been here 20 years ish now. We were "on the edge" of the big city originally, but the boundaries have expanded out over time so we're firmly established in suburbia. Back then, we had coyotes running the greenbelts nightly, runnig down the displaced rabbits and small rodents that come with new construction. After a few years all we really had were the rabbits.

Over time since then, a lot of the native critters have returned to the area. In addition to rabbits, we have rock squirrels, mice, rats, gophers, etc... The building blocks of an ecosystem. We've also seen a gradual return (or range extension) of raptors (various hawks and owls), which helps keep the pigeon population in check. Occasional foxes, coyotes, and bobcats aren't unheard of. All have figured out some way to adapt to human encroachment and survive.

My favorite are the owls. As a chicken owner, I keep an eye on all the raptors, but we have a pair of Great horned Owls that nest nearby and I like listening to them call at night.

We have a pair of great horned owls in the woods here, too! They like to call throughout the day in winter and early spring. One time I followed the hooting out through the snow and was able to spot one of them. :love Amazing birds, but pretty intimidating to see! The coyotes are super intimidating to me as well, especially when I'm outside, alone, closing up coops for the night when they start howling. :th

We have a bat out at our plave

Love, love, love it when the bats come out for the summer here! They always make a circuit above the house and yard at dusk, so I guess we attract a lot of bugs. šŸ¤­

Bats are amazing, I need to make some houses for them so they can come eat all the skeeters here.

Thank goodness for dragonflies, I can't imagine how bad it would have been without them. And it was BAD! :barnie

The coyotes are super intimidating to me as well, especially when I'm outside, alone, closing up coops for the night when they start howling. :th

šŸ¤­
I lost half a flock to a coyote attack. not a fan. I understand their place in the environment, but they don't belong in my back yard. Heaven help the next one I catch out there.

Thank goodness for dragonflies, I can't imagine how bad it would have been without them. And it was BAD! :barnie

Yes, love dragonflies too! :love It took me an age to find this picture again, but this guy was one of the coolest I've seen here. He was pretty big, too, like a couple inches long! No idea what kind he was, though. Editing, oh, I just did a quick search and it looks like he was a green darner, Anax junius. šŸ¤­

1695747507035.png

I lost half a flock to a coyote attack. not a fan. I understand their place in the environment, but they don't belong in my back yard. Heaven help the next one I catch out there.

I'm so sorry to hear that. šŸ™ Definitely understand what you're saying, too. That's how I feel about minks. If I never see a mink here again it'll still be too soon.

Back
Top Bottom