Cheapest place to buy overhead netting....

doodlebugbug

Hatching
12 Years
Mar 31, 2007
I'm looking for decent bird netting in a 25' X 25' square piece to put overhead the chicken coop fenced in area. I want something strong, but cheap. Snow should go thru it, chickens in, and preditors out. Does anyone know of a website to order something on the cheaper side?
smile.png

I use deer netting and it works great! We do take it down in winter since we get so much snow. It's very strong and stretches, so it's easy to hook to the edges of the chain link fencing we have for our chicken yard, which is 16' X 16'. You can find it in rolls of 7' X 100' at both Home Depot and Lowes. Lowes has the best price here in Northern Idaho. Lowes has it for $11.99 and Home Depot has it for $14.99.

From my experience I had seen that deer netting snap like a twig under the load of a couple inches of ice during an ice storm. I started using Toprite Netting and I get it from Cutlers Pheasant and Poultry Supply. Not cheap by any means though. I use the Toprite II and a 25x25 piesce of 1' is $103. Now for covering the top you could go with the 2" mesh and it is a little cheaper at $46. Depending on what you are trying to keep out that would most likely work for you. They also have other types of netting.

I used regular landscape netting. 1/2 inch scares comes in rolls 3' wide and 40ish' long. I had to use almost ten rolls to do my run, but grand total cost was about 45 dollars including staples for my stapler. Yes, it was a tremendous pain in the toukas to put up (about two hours up and down my ladder), but it's strong, durable, repairable, and snow goes right through it. It's visible to hawks though one did get tangled in it. He was relatively easy to get untangled and the stitches didn't hurt that much.
hmm.png
Plus, he hasn't been back.

Mark

PS Oh yeah, I got it at Lowe's.

Last edited:
I am looking for similar stuff, and I found a bunch of options on Ebay by searching for "fish net", "aviary net", etc. I think I might end up buying some of the used deep-sea fishing netting that was 1 3/4" squares dark nylon mesh. And searching for "fishnet" comes up with some really entertaining stuff!
wink.png

-MTchick

Back
Top Bottom