Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

Pics
Currently I am recovering from a TKA, left knee. Our chicks are finally laying again starting in February. They had quit since August when they started molting. We unfortunately lost two of our five Bielefelders for unknown reasons. I had been feeding them organic food but have since changed and they seem to eat better, however, they prefer scratch and boonworms over feed. I had a heck of a time trying to keep out the small yardbirds, at times, 30-40 in the chickens pen. Finally solved with sun blocking tarps which will help with this summers hot sun. We average 2 eggs a day now and are starting to let them out to forage when we lock the dogs up, so all is well.

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
Tbh, this website is so confusing to navigate and the app is so shoddy, I mainly use the site for looking up info and stopped using it to communicate.

Hello everyone! I'm sorry it's been so long! I've been diagnosed with many things while gone including autism, DID, tourette's... it's been a lot to process, I'm looking to come back soon! Also I've gotten a baby sister and she's turned one sinve Ive been here!
20240421_140327.jpg
Currently we have 18 chickens!! 10 full grown and 8 babies! Getting ready for the fair!

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
Hi, my 4 girls are doing great so far. We are coming into year 3 with not many issues. I have 4 more chicks that I have in a brooder and will be integrating into the run in a few weeks.

Hello all! I haven't been posting, but have checked in now & again. One of my free-range by day mama's hid a clutch in the yard and got 3 out of 4 fertilized eggs hatched. This is only the 2nd time it's ever happened to me and the 1st mama wasn't a very good mama and lost the chicks when they were still fluffy. This mama is amazing. Now I have 2 more girls broody in the coop.

Question: I have 2 roosters that aren't an issue yet as far as the chicks' safety goes, but for breeding purposes.... How long before I need to worry about separating or culling them? I'm considering next year to be more viligant against babies, and by that time someone will have a rooster they will want to pass on, and I can cull mine and introduce a new one.

Including a still from my "Chicken TV" channel ;)
black hen babies.PNG

Hello, a lot going on in SW CO.Spring is busy starting with irrigation etc.

Great way to check-in on the community and get more interaction @NifTy-Chicken👍

I’ve been trudging through some slop…Kept getting sick and this year in particular has been brutal. WFH full time, 2 kids 5year old and 1 year, 10 chickens, a dog, and 125 gallon fish tank… Finally I had an epiphany: I need to work less and shift focus to home and family. This month I decreased my hours and a part-time position at our church opened up. Hopefully I’ll start that in June and get away from so much computer work. Chickens have survived my neglect. Right now they are outside enjoying the excessive weeds and bugs in our backyard garden. The front garden bed (pictured) is in full bloom thanks to the chicken manure we added last year. I love that our food waste goes to the chickens, their waste eventually feeds our garden which feeds us, and they feed us with eggs. 🥳 Hopefully, with less time working for someone else I’ll be able to expand the chicken run and our gardens. For now I’m enjoying spring time and the little bit of extra time away from the computer.

Attachments

• IMG_1203.jpeg
    IMG_1203.jpeg
    856.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1207.jpeg
    IMG_1207.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3

I have been trying desperately to keep my chicken math in check and stop all my girls (ducks, chickens, and turkey) from going broody. Our family really enjoys our mixed flock! I hope everyone is having a good start to their spring season!

Back
Top Bottom