Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

Hi everyone! I've had a very busy past few years, hence the lack of participation 😬. I've just recently completed my master's degree in poultry science with a focus in laying hen nutrition, so that's what I've been up to! I'm happy to have accepted employment in a position that will allow me to keep backyard hens without compromising commercial operations' biosecurity. So hopefully I'll be on a bit more discussing our backyard chickens!
Congratulations!

Doing good, letting my hen hatch her eggs

Attachments

• IMG_20240501_133707982.jpg
    IMG_20240501_133707982.jpg
    305 KB · Views: 1
Had been doing great until this weekend. We had extremely heavy rains last night and something (fox, likely) was able to dig through the mud up under the chicken wire we'd buried underground around the coop and run. All of our five new chicks are gone. They were getting too big for the brooder so we'd just moved them into the coop Saturday. We didn't do our research on how to integrate them with our three remaining hens (two Orps and one Plymouth) and I think that contributed to the situation. The big girls were pestering them and the young ones were sticking really close to the edge of the run. They didn't figure out how to go up into the coop at night. :(

Just sad times. And feeling guilty.

We'd like to try again with three new chicks. Looking into which breeds would do well with the ones we already have. Also reinforcing the walls of the run. When is a good age to introduce the young chicks to the adults? We don't really have the ability to add a new coop nearby to do the "see, but don't touch" method I've been reading about.

Thanks for any advice!

Hello, Yes I have not been on here for a while. We are in the process of planning a new chicken coop build and had some questions regarding rat proofing and preventing a muddy run. Thank you for checking in. Cindy
It is good to see you here!

Rats can get into the coop using very small openings.

One suggestion is to remove the food in the coop at night.

Muddy runs can be helped with drainage. Look into installing a French drain.

Had been doing great until this weekend. We had extremely heavy rains last night and something (fox, likely) was able to dig through the mud up under the chicken wire we'd buried underground around the coop and run. All of our five new chicks are gone. They were getting too big for the brooder so we'd just moved them into the coop Saturday. We didn't do our research on how to integrate them with our three remaining hens (two Orps and one Plymouth) and I think that contributed to the situation. The big girls were pestering them and the young ones were sticking really close to the edge of the run. They didn't figure out how to go up into the coop at night. :(

Just sad times. And feeling guilty.

We'd like to try again with three new chicks. Looking into which breeds would do well with the ones we already have. Also reinforcing the walls of the run. When is a good age to introduce the young chicks to the adults? We don't really have the ability to add a new coop nearby to do the "see, but don't touch" method I've been reading about.

Thanks for any advice!
It is good to see you here!

For the digging predator, Dig a trench deep enough to put in 4x4 pressure treated boards. Attach welded wire fencing for the first section and then cover it with hardware cloth at that same lower level.

The babies should be 3\4ths of the size of the original flock-- 14 to 16 weeks old usually.

I haven't been here in a while but I've been thinking about everybody.

Fun news from our house is that our australop rooster died :(, and somehow a silky rooster fertilized our australop hen believe it or not. Then that little huzzy hid in the chicken coop and hatched out three of the ugliest babies you've ever seen. We call them the derp triplets.

A couple of days ago we bought three rabbits and I am currently building a rabbit hutch.

Attachments

• 17162215919192677649518432963000.jpg
    17162215919192677649518432963000.jpg
    467.4 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom