Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

Hi, checking in, I ended up with 11 hens and 1 rooster. Our rooster is just the cutest thing ever, total cute ham. BUT, neighbor took in a room mate with a totally untrained dog that killed 7/12 of my chickens. Super bad, I walked out during the middle of it and saw my hens dead and dying, really bad. And I live in an odd place in the middle of nowhere with a few neighbors...

So one rooster and four hens, 2 of them already could use a saddle and the another that was so scabbed on her back from that dog is now bare backed.

Not sure what to do. Easy answer is more hens but I can't do chicks and ordering pullets is from the place I did before is exponentionally higher, not willing to part with $150 for 3 pullets (includes hand delivery)
What should I do? I need to mention, it's heavy on my mind, we hopefully moving to town in 2 years where we will have a private courtyard. Not very big for a dog and chickens.

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
Hello. We are all good here in Kent UK. I love my girlies. They all have different personalities. I let them roam the garden but they poop everywhere as you all know. Thinking of giving them a part of the garden just for them so we can have some poop free bbq’s once the sun eventually arrives. I have a Nestera coop and they all insist on laying in the one side. Any hints to get them to use the other next box be good. Have a fun day everyone

Thanks for the reminder to stop in! We're still in the thick of it!! We had two roos, George and Wilson. Wilson and George were at it no matter the advice we got and I called the seller and she took him back. Highly possible Wilson is divided into home canned chicken soup but I won't tell my husband that... George and hubby are the team. Hubby is Numero Uno and George is el pollo loco! But it's been a couple of years with them, we lost a girl to a coyote. Still 9 hens, 1 roo, and all is well in the backyard chicken of my southern Oregon plot of 2 acres. I've been in the act of writing (3 books, one coming in the Fall per the publisher, and another stewing on my laptop) and my husband, remodeling bathroom so both of us have been going nuts! Glad to see ya all!

What should I do? I need to mention, it's heavy on my mind, we hopefully moving to town in 2 years where we will have a private courtyard. Not very big for a dog and chickens.
hoping all is well, no more dog attacks, and if you've moved to town, the rest of your flock were well-homed. I wouldn't get more chickens if the plan may be to move, and we have 9 hens and a roo, but down a roo and a hen. We won't replace ours. If you are getting plenty of eggs from the four (if you have the hens) then I'd leave it at that. We hope to water bath eggs in big jars should we lose our chickens.

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
Hey! We are doing just fine. My hubby, Doug, had major surgery last year so we've been focused on his recovery. Our chicks are doing good. Laying is a bit slow. We have started our first vegetable garden in two years. Looking forward to fresh veggies!

Hi there, life got busy in a kind of tragic way, in that my husband ended up in the ICU last Memorial Day and we've been navigating our new life with paralysis. We bought a new house to better suit everyone's needs and have been in the process of remodeling it, we've been going to physical therapy weekly, and of course spending way more time with the birds! Last April, I took in two BBW turkey poults that ended up stealing our hearts 💜 our flock is sitting at 54 birds total now, from bantams to guineas and turkeys to bachelor flocks. Quite a challenging experience being the sole chicken tender with that kind of number! Below is my husband with Barb, who is completely infatuated with him 😍
IMG_20240424_114847321_HDR.jpg

I have had some ups and downs definitely. I started out with 13 chickens, lost all but one due to free ranging. Gave that one away before winter hit. Lesson learned. Next spring 8 more chickens. Chickens got out of new run, lost 1 and 2. Refortified run, got a rooster and these guys are a year old. Expanded my run and it is now 200 ft x 200ft (estimated) and a 2nd coop. Now with 11 new 4 and 5 week old chicks in the brooder. All chickens have been safe since last summer. Whew what a crazy couple of new chicken mama years.

Hello! Our girls are happy and healthy!! We have 7 (2 Easter Eggers, 3 Rhode Island Reds, and 2 Bantams) and they have such sweet personalities. A couple of months ago, a falcon tried his best to get one of my bantams. There were feathers everywhere and my heart sank. We found her, uninjured…the feathers were the falcon’s! The falcon has not returned. Glory’s new name is Glory the Conquerer 😊. Thanks for checking it in!

Had my older bantam Wyandottes hatch some bantam faverolles last summer before selling the Wyandottes this spring.

The faverolles are very cute and my son loves them, I had a very friendly handsome rooster but one of my neighbors hated the crowing so had to sell him. I have found the faverolles lay smaller eggs then the Wyandottes but I love their cute looks and very friendly personalities so its a ok trade off.

1714123820076.png

Back
Top Bottom