Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

Pics
We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
Doing well here I. Sanford NC. We've got a few orphingtons hens that are at least 4 years old and 16 American brese just reaching one year old. All are laying. American brese eggs are smaller than orphingtons eggs. We have one goose. Had him for nearly 6 years. Garden is coming along and farm is planted with potatoes, onion and garlic.

Been a while but thanks for checking in! We've lost three girls over the past year but our flock of 8 is going strong otherwise. They're all Mareks positive but I think the ones remaining are all vaccinated, so we should be ok there.
We've been experimenting with fermented feed lately in an effort to strengthen the flock and simultaneously save some cash. Becky here had water belly but it seems to have gone away on its own. Always something with these girls!
Sounds stressful but your photo is beautiful, lovely flock!

Hi! This is a great idea, and got me to check back in! We lost our remaining old girls last spring to a stupid weasel (including my 8yr old hen who sirvived bear attack!). We've missed having the birds though and are planning on getting some more once we rethink our coop, and finish up some other work around the yard. We've been debating over what breed we want to try out this time since we're starting from 0 again!

Hi, thanks for reaching out. Sadly, I no longer have chickens since last June. It was sad parting with them, but had to sell them when told that my parents' house I've lived in for past 17+ years is being sold by my mother's guardian to help pay Medicaid back. My mom has been living in a nursing home since March 2020, and is in late stage of Alzheimer's. I don't know where I'm going to live, so don't know if I can ever have chickens again, though I hope someday in the future I can have some. For now I need to worry about finding a place to live and improving my physical and mental health.

Best wishes to all,
Sonia
So sorry to hear. :hugs Thanks for updating us.

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
Morning!! We bought a new house and in between had to live in an apartment so I found a new home for all my chickens and helped our friend move our coops and runs and all other things chickens to their property. We have room for chickens again, but cold New England winters and traveling for work has me rethinking the time I can devote to raising my feathered friends. No chickens now but maybe in a few years or when I retire in 20. ☺️

I've been busy taking care of the chickens, turkeys and ducks hatching planting a garden and then clipping some goat feet, working the energy up to shear the sheep and feed the pigs, caught a peacock "frank" a moody indian blue and feed "tood our purple pead? not sure i spelled that correctly... in short its spring and busy...

Id love to join a chat of introduction. I currently am a self funded parrot rescue in Central Florida. My husband and I have been talking about getting chickens for years. About 15 years ago I rescued a pair of ducks that were so badly abused their legs were permanently bent. First I rehabbed them in a kiddie pool until they strengthened their legs and when they mastered that I dug them a pond with a huge run and to hide it from prying eyes I planted thick shrubbery all along the run. You couldn't even tell it was there. Long story short they ended up doing really well and somehow breeding with wild Muscovy ducks and had 9 ducklings When we bought this house I donated them to a children's farm park. They were all trained to follow me around and other things so they were a big hit. We want to make our chickens just as happy. I want everything to be ideal for long term keeping for eggs. Can anyone help with tips?
The most important thing is what they eat...their nutrition. What are you feeding them?

Rob,
I've been doing fine and the chickens are doing well too. I don't comment on here a lot, but I read a lot of the articles that are published so keep them coming.
I guess if you have a magic cure for rodents email me a link to that because I have a problem right now. I've put out bait, but the dirty rats don't want to go in to get the feed. I've bought one of the electric shockers, which I like better because it's quick, but it's as if after the first two or three the rest of the pack won't go in them anymore.

Mark

Hi!!

We have been so busy!!!
This morning we had a hen with a comb injury, fixed that up and she is doing great back in the flock with pine tar to keep the rooster off her, Vetericyn, and some TAL. We have had a broody hen for going on 3 weeks no fertile eggs so we are going to pick up some barred rock chicks today and place them under her. We have a Buff that had 6 chicks 2 week ago and they all are doing fine. One of my favorite hens keeled over for no reason a bit ago and was treating another with water belly, she passed last month in the house comfortably… It has been a busy spring here at Chicken Little Ranch, but all is great!!!

Blessings to you all
Sandie
We love pictures! Get some of the momma and her new babies today!

Rob,
I've been doing fine and the chickens are doing well too. I don't comment on here a lot, but I read a lot of the articles that are published so keep them coming.
I guess if you have a magic cure for rodents email me a link to that because I have a problem right now. I've put out bait, but the dirty rats don't want to go in to get the feed. I've bought one of the electric shockers, which I like better because it's quick, but it's as if after the first two or three the rest of the pack won't go in them anymore.

Mark
Mark, check this out:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/rat-control-the-video-series.1337456/post-21874248

Back
Top Bottom