Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

Pics
Doing well. Of my original flock of 4, we lost two within the past two years. Was pretty devastated. Last year we got 3 new chicks and all is good. The original gals just turned 4 and the new gals just turned 1. The old gals stopped laying for over a year but once the new ones started the had to join in. All 5 are laying consistently. So glad we have them.

IMG_3476.jpeg
IMG_4296.jpeg

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
Oh gosh it's been at least four years since I've been here. In that time I've graduated highschool, became vegan, started college as an environmental engineering major, moved with my family to the Netherlands (and gave away our pet chickens to other people with pet chickens), started dating my partner, moved in with him, and adopted a puppy together. (We're both in college in the US and planning to move to the Netherlands once we graduate, so we don't have any chickens right now. I'm hoping to persuade him later... we'll see.)

Hi! We’re doing fine here. We’ve added some big chickens to our bantams in the past few years and it’s been working out great. We have 13 total chickens right now. We also got a little B&B Old English Game Bantam roo who’s super adorable. He immediately became besties with our OEGB hen. They’re a sweet pair. Thinking of expanding our run so the chickums can enjoy some grass and bugs again! We’d like to include a connecting door so we can let them out to forage in the grass, but also close it off to allow the grass to recover. We have too many hawks and a nearby eagle to let the littles free range.

Attachments

• IMG_2443.jpeg
    IMG_2443.jpeg
    954.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2433.jpeg
    IMG_2433.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
I’ve been really busy with my college classes, so I haven’t been on BYC in a while… my five chickens are doing amazing though and I have been blessed to not have any medical issues with them! Thanks for checking in on me!!!

Good morning from Costa Rica! Yes, I've been a lurker. Many of the posts don't apply to me as I have different seasons and issues here, but much information has been useful. I've used BYC information on treating illnesses, mites, worms and treat feeding. What I've learned both here and as a former avian zookeeper gave me the confidence recently to 'operate' on a hen that was attacked & badly injured by a cat or opossum. If the attacker had grabbed her on the other side, she would have lost her crop and her life. Had to remove about 2 square inches of skin & used hemostatic powder to cover the flesh & stop blood loss. She lost a lot of feathers. She has a 5 week old chick...Fortunately, I keep a good supply of medical and veterinary items, and had a big crate. I got wire fencing to section off a portion of the yard without totally isolating the pair from the rest of the flock. She's doing very well so far, but since she's a low-ranking hen I'll reintroduce her slowly. At this point she doesn't trust me, so I can't show the wound, which is now stable after a week (thanks to the powder!) but also coated with fine, clean dirt. Chickens are tough...I can't send photos because I'm not good at tech and she doesn't want to be touched! I tried to check her, but she panicked and I don't want her reopening the wound.

I did have one very strange thing happen that I posted about but was dismissed by a member. One of my hens expelled her oviduct. I know what an oviduct is and was hoping that someone would have experience with this, but was told it must be parasite. She didn't lay after that. Recently, another hen expelled a portion of oviduct and began laying eggs without shells. When she began eating them, I had to let her go yesterday... It was tough; she was my sweet favorite. Because my Spanish isn't great and chickens aren't valued except for food here, I've not been able to get any information on such a condition if there is any.
All my chickens (9) are free-range on 500 square meters of enclosed tropical garden. Plenty of insects and grass. They can all be handled as I start touching the chicks from day 1. I love having chicks and provide occasional flock-starters and dinners to local folks, as well as eggs. It's a mixed flock with local, Orpington and Isa Brown blood. I hope to add a couple more Isa Browns once conditions are right.
Thanks for getting me out of my shell (so to speak)!!

We are clucking along at our coop. We lost our two White Rocks over the winter by 'misadventure'. They made the great escape (think Chicken Run) and strutted through the invisible fence into dog zone. After a respectful mourning period, we have added three Saphire Gems to our flock. The new girls are 10 weeks old and thriving.

Hi there! Thanks for reaching out. We are still happy chicken tenders, continuing to learn and enjoy our flock. Currently we have 15, 14 hens and a roo of mixed breeds. Lost one of our americauna hens a couple of days ago :( we think to a raccoon. We have a pretty good fortress set up to protect our crew but they don't always cooperate and find a way out and into the arms of a predator, or a predator will find a weakness in our armor and take full advantage. But they have to eat too, and we do our best and learn as we go.

First pic shows our rooster Randy and a couple of his favorite ladies, second picture is of our dearly departed hen before she made her fatal escape, third picture is three of our more dominant girls all trying to lay in the favorite nesting box while I'm trying to clean out the coop. So much fun to keep this crew, and sure do enjoy their delicious eggs! Happy to be part of this community too. Have a great day everyone!

Attachments

• randy.jpg
    randy.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
  • mohawk.jpg
    mohawk.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • 3ladies.jpg
    3ladies.jpg
    820.5 KB · Views: 4
Hi chicken tenders. It's been a while. I've gone thru the days of being that "chicken snob" who only raised fluffy butt English orpingtons to just being glad the one game hen I had survived and hatched two clutches last year. I've gone from two dz to 5. (Predators or someone stealing them, idk) But 5 layers are still covering me up with eggs! I hatched some babies from a friend's backyard flock. They're about 2 months old, but I'm afraid they might be all boys.

I lost my son last year and really didn't wanna chicken anymore. Or anything else for that matter. If that game hen hadn't hatched babies my coop would be empty. First time in a long time my incubator stayed in the closet. No cruising the net looking for hatching eggs. 💔 But something tugged me back this year. Thanks for checking on us all.
20240331_173459.jpg

Back
Top Bottom