Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

Pics
Still up to my neck in stuff (nope, make that fluff)
We have 22 birds now in Texas, lost a Buff Orp to heat already :(
Advice to anybody who wants it: if you live somewhere where it gets up to 85-100 Fahrenheit, then don't get buffs unless you are very well prepared to find all of them in rigor mortis on the ground in the coop.
We've had a lot of success with Barred Plymouth Rocks and Rhode Island Reds, would recommend them to anyone new to chickens. Wyandottes, also not that great for heat (had three, down to one- steadily losing them over the years).
I am in Houston.

Do you have an open air coop?

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
I have been busy. Decided to let the guineas hatch their own eggs this year, but they aren't going broody. I have full nests in several places. 5 chickens are broody, but their eggs aren't hatching, and the ducks think they are like the Easter bunny, hiding their eggs everywhere.

I keep chickens pretty differently from others, so I am usually only on here scouring for obscure medical cases or breed conversations. I don't typically have much to add since my experiences are increasingly estranged from general chook keeping. But I lurk from time to time!

Away from here I've just got my 3 office chickens helping keep me sane while running my business haha.
How do you keep them? In what way is yours so different?
Do you keep them all in your house?

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)

Hi all, my pet guinea fowl Zippy was killed by a coyote about a month ago. I don't live in the country, I live in a city near Dallas. This was a very bold coyote who isn't afraid of humans. He has killed several animals in our neighborhood and our city isn't helping us. We are heartbroken and still grieving Zippy.

I have been busy. Decided to let the guineas hatch their own eggs this year, but they aren't going broody. I have full nests in several places. 5 chickens are broody, but their eggs aren't hatching, and the ducks think they are like the Easter bunny, hiding their eggs everywhere.
If you want baby guineas give those eggs to the broody chickens to sit on. Broody chickens don't care what's growing inside of the egg...they will sit on any type egg.

Hi all, my pet guinea fowl Zippy was killed by a coyote about a month ago. I don't live in the country, I live in a city near Dallas. This was a very bold coyote who isn't afraid of humans. He has killed several animals in our neighborhood and our city isn't helping us. We are heartbroken and still grieving Zippy.
Yikes!

Well, I downsized my flock from 15 to 9 ( I really want to only have 6 ) just easier to keep up with for a few reasons. feed lasts longer, less cleaning in the coop and in reality less eggs to deal with as it seemed this past year everyone around here started selling "farm eggs" and less were buying so eggs piled up and went bad faster than I could give them away. At christmas we made deviled eggs and a few smelled like the Devils Lair and looked worst so a bunch got dumped in the woods , we still get more than we need and my daughter takes a few dozen here and there so its working out. I raked the coop out and put all new bedding in this past january and tilled the old bedding/manure into the run then hauled it to the garden for that black gold to grow veggies this season. Next Ill be adding new mulch to the run to keep the girls dry and start over for next years harvest of black gold.
In a week Im picking up a Kubota Tractor with bucket lift that a friend is selling cheap which will help out around here greatly with projects, grading the drive, digging and installing a bigger culvert and more. I was rear ended last september and totaled my truck so still looking for a cheap truck to haul things needed. Other than that, still kicking
*** almost forgot, Getting our entire septic system replaced... 37 years old and previous owners didnt maintain it so its beyond repair. Luckily getting replaced under an economic program so it will be free.
Is this economic program a local one? I'd like to learn more about it.

It's just now starting to warm up, so the chickens and I have just been in survival mode these last few months. What have we been up to? Well, we have 20 hens, 2 roosters, and 10 new chicks (3 from incubator and 7 from momma hens). We also just recently branched out and purchased 100 "meat chickens". They are now 4 weeks old and some are as big as our layers. I love Spring!

Hi chicken tenders. It's been a while. I've gone thru the days of being that "chicken snob" who only raised fluffy butt English orpingtons to just being glad the one game hen I had survived and hatched two clutches last year. I've gone from two dz to 5. (Predators or someone stealing them, idk) But 5 layers are still covering me up with eggs! I hatched some babies from a friend's backyard flock. They're about 2 months old, but I'm afraid they might be all boys.

I lost my son last year and really didn't wanna chicken anymore. Or anything else for that matter. If that game hen hadn't hatched babies my coop would be empty. First time in a long time my incubator stayed in the closet. No cruising the net looking for hatching eggs. 💔 But something tugged me back this year. Thanks for checking on us all.View attachment 3813571
Hello and welcome! I am sorry to hear about your loss, that sounds terrible. And unfortunately I seem to be the bringer of bad news when it comes to chicken genders but I see eight of those chicks that are cockerels, and I cannot see the other twos' combs properly.

Hello,

I received your message and am happy to report things are going very well. We went from having a flock of pets to becoming a registered chicken rescue with the assistance of the Director of the Avian Program at Cornell University. We rehab sick, neglected, failure to thrive, improper hatches, and the unfortunate purchases made without thinking it through. Our YouTube channel, Murray's Home For Wayward Chickens has approx 250 subscribers now, and we assist people with treating illness and injury, in addition to posting comical videos of the shenanigans that occur with having several house chickens.

Hope you are well! Thank you for the update request.

Heather DeVito 😁
SUBSCRIBED!

Back
Top Bottom