Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

Pics
Thank you for checking in ! I’m still doing the Silkie thing. I’ve gone from 42 down to 10. They are quite addictive and I am still totally obsessed but they are much easier to care for now. The hubby is still doing his fancy gamefowl in several different breeds and then my father in law raises his chickens and Peacocks. It is definitely a bird zoo around here. I am currently about to wage war with the rats. They have managed to dig into every single pen and now it’s just a matter of time before the snakes show up looking to eat the rats. Recently discovered the DIY Bucket Rat Trap! Wish me luck!
So grateful for this site and all the experience and knowledge. I can’t tell you how much I appreciate this community.

Hi! It’s been a long time. A lot has changed for me, including the fact that I no longer have chickens.

Due to unfortunate circumstances out of my control, I had to move to an apartment and rehome my rescue rooster and my three partridge chantecler hens. It was very stressful, because they were all difficult to find the right homes for, but in the end I found them all wonderful homes.

My rooster Gizmo used to be unable to be around other chickens without fighting constantly. I kept him in a pen adjacent to but separate from the hens. I first tried to rehome him to my friend’s bachelor flock, thinking being away from hens would chill him out, but he kept fighting with her head rooster Anakin who was several times the size of him to the point poor Ani was too scared to be near him. My friend lives on her BILs farm, so as a last ditch effort she introduced Gizmo to his free range mixed sex flock. Turns out, that’s exactly what Gizmo needed. And since then, he’s become a doting step-father to a hen with chicks (normally she chases everyone away but lets him stay around), which is a really sweet turn of events.

My hens (Juniper, Athena, Eglantine) were also difficult to find a home for because they are all 5+yrs old and on hormonal implants for chronic EYP-so whoever adopted them needed to be ok that they wouldn’t lay anymore, and would need regular vet visits. To sweeten the deal, I offered my coop with them, and will continue to pay for their implants until they die since I get an employee discount at my clinic and it means I can make sure they get the medical care they need. Luckily, a friend of a friend who is also an ex-vet tech happened to be looking to get some chickens, and they didn’t care about eggs! It wasn’t easy transporting the whole coop there, but we got her done and the hens are so happy and loved there.

I miss them, but I’m so relieved they are all doing so well in their new homes. I couldn’t have asked for a better outcome to an awful situation. I probably won’t be frequenting these forums much because I’m so busy (doing a PhD!), but I wish y’all the best :)

Picture of my girls and boy before they were rehomed

View attachment 3813645
So sorry you had to rehome them but it sounds like they went to fantastic places! I had to rehome my Chanteclers as well, I miss them every day. Good luck with the PhD!

Hello everyone sorry I haven't visit BYC in a while, all is good in my little coop now, one of my Serama baby was very sick finally I found a Vet that treated her and it seems she is OK although she lost all her feathers from her head and neck an it doesn't look like they're coming back 😟 but she still is my baby. I made her a little scarf and she looks adorable 🥰.
That is absolutely precious!

Hello everyone sorry I haven't visit BYC in a while, all is good in my little coop now, one of my Serama baby was very sick finally I found a Vet that treated her and it seems she is OK although she lost all her feathers from her head and neck an it doesn't look like they're coming back 😟 but she still is my baby. I made her a little scarf and she looks adorable 🥰.
Aww, poor girl. The pictures with the scarf made me smile!

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
Life is busy on the farm - still raising hens - 8 years now

Hi everyone. Guess it has been a while since I was here. Just been really busy. My girls are doing well, last year I added some new chicks, which are now grown and doing well. I raise chicks for others who want chickens, but don't know how or have the time to properly raise chickens from day old chicks. These days, most of my time is spent dealing with squirrels that are raiding my coops for eggs. I recently started putting cayenne pepper in the squirrel holes to chase them out, but they don't go far. They stay close enough to still raid the coops. Anyway, doing good as a whole, it's fun catching up on all the things everyone else is doing. Sorry to hear that Peter in Hungary lost his flock to pine martins, hopefully he's found a way to protect his next flock of girls from the martins.

All good here! My 4 ladies are happy with our nice Spring weather in Texas, laying 4 eggs almost every day 🙌🏼 I’m also hatching a dozen BYM eggs with our first grade classes again and they’re due to hatch this Wednesday 🥳

Attachments

• IMG_2372.jpeg
    IMG_2372.jpeg
    609.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_8891.jpeg
    IMG_8891.jpeg
    360.5 KB · Views: 3
We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
I have been busy, mowing started a couple weeks ago. I have not checked in for a while, I honestly did not think anyone would want to hear about what I am up to lately. For the last year, I hatch, raised and been taking care of four emus. They will be a year old on May 10th. They are very low maintainance, but like lots of attention. I still have over 50 Seramas, and 80 Chickens, 7 ducks, 2 geese, and 4 dogs.

Attachments

• IMG_20240123_151352.jpg
    IMG_20240123_151352.jpg
    519.3 KB · Views: 2
  • whome.jpg
    whome.jpg
    388.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20230512_144841.jpg
    IMG_20230512_144841.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom