Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

Pics
Long time no see guys 😅

I haven't had any chickens in a couple years now since a bad relationship ending left me bouncing between family and friends couches for a while, I have been renting a room in a sharehouse for a year now and my landlord finally agreed to let me build a coop so long as I can properly fox proof it, as he had them a couple years ago and twice foxes got everything. So Im working on getting my birds back, a couple of my favorites have been staying with a friend this whole time.

Hi, thanks for checking in. It’s been a while since I’ve been on this site. I’m still raising rainbow layers based on the Penedesenca and Ameracauna from Cackle hatchery. Here’s a pic of my latest egg colors, including a fully double egg.

Attachments

• IMG_2121.jpeg
    IMG_2121.jpeg
    546.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2144.png
    IMG_2144.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2143.png
    IMG_2143.png
    2 MB · Views: 2
I'm still here. It has been a rough winter and a bunch of my girls got pneumonia. I got most of them through it, but I did lose a few of the older girls. It never gets easier to lose my birdy buddies. But Spring is here and everyone is healthy again. Looking forward to dryer, warmer days.
I’m sorry to hear of your losses. I’ve lost a couple of my oldest hens this past winter too, and it still hurts. Hoping yours stay happy and healthy. :)

Our hens are doing very well, currently getting an average of 6 eggs a day from 7 brahmas and 3 Javas. We bought an 8x10 shed and converted it into a coop mainly because we wanted a place for them to be when we get extreme weather.

The Java’s are very smart and social, always want to hang with you when your in the coop. This picture is Princess and Ruth hanging out while I pick up poop from the pdz under the roost bar.

qx65dg.jpg
Your Javas are beautiful! I have one as well, and she’s one of the funniest, friendliest birds I own. She’s currently in the process of going broody…:rolleyes:

Thank you for checking in. I usually peruse when I have a problem to look into so I’m glad there are so many others that posts and help out. My first 6 hens are still around although I’m getting about 4 eggs per day now on average. There’s 1-2 bullies and still trying to figure out how to help the lone hen at the bottom of the order because she’s losing feathers and with expose skin. They basically mount her often. We are in New England and they are in the garden now helping me to prep it for the summer and enjoying the worms. My 2 year old greets them as “pok pok” as she helps me. I am enjoying every bit of things so far. Thanks again BYC.

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
Hello all,
For the most part, things are running smoothly around our house. We adopted 9 hens last year that were in need of rehoming! They blessed us with 31 new chicks very shortly after arriving. We chose to rehome most of the chicks except for 6 young hens. Those young hens are starting to lay now. We have been blessed with a few dozen of the cutest little 'fairy eggs' recently. Everything from pigeon size(no yoke), to completely round, to long & skinny, to perfect shaped 1.5 in long eggs. Hey, gotta give the young ladies credit! They are trying hard. A few more weeks of practice and their eggs will be on the market.
We have kept a small flock of adorable little silkies for breeding, for some time now! Recently we acquired additional hatchery silkies and expanded our breeding. We have a silkie roo and 2 bantam frizzle roos for breeding. Everyone has their own coops and hens to keep all happy. It has been a very rewarding and interesting experience with the frizzle breeding. Because frizzle is a recessive gene, you never know what the babies will be, except 1/2 silkie, for sure. We get frizzles(flipped feathers), sizzles(flipped silkie hair-like feathers), silkies(flat hair-like feathers) and satins(flat feathers). All with 5 toes!
They are just adorable, fuzzy,little, friendly chicks!

Perfect pets! 20240227_211708.jpg !!
20231009_151749.jpg
20240209_102109.jpg
20240220_074614.jpg
20211113_052745.jpg

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
Busy with dogs, and chickens. Waiting for someone to go broody so I can sneak some new chicks under her. Getting 10 - 12 eggs a day out of 13 hens.

Nice to hear from you 🙂
I still frequent the site, just not signed in. It's my favorite spot for getting my chicken questions answered. But my introverted self still struggles with posting on forums...oh well.
I've been changing over from the bantams to full size. I have 2 of my original 3 bantams, the third passed about a week ago. Now I have 2 black stars and 5 barnyard mixes out in the coop with my bantams, and 5 barred rock plus 5 black australorp chicks in the brooder. It's my first experience with baby chicks without a broody hen taking care of them, so should be interesting.
And I really needed a better facility for them, so I converted an old carport into a coop/run combo. Still have some work to do on it, but got them moved in recently. I think it's why my old bantam girl died...she was really stressed by the move. 😔
Anyway, future plans are to move the old coop to a new location closer to my new coop, shed and water source, and use it as a brooder/hospital wing/bachelor pad whatever the most pressing need happens to be at the time. After that, a fence goes up around the whole thing.
20240427_093746.jpg

It's Spring and we're busy over here! LOL We just raised up a couple handfuls of meat birds, I dry hatched out 23 new egg layers, we're starting to raise some Bresse as an alternative to CornishX. I've been busy canning up the meat birds we just processed, but I had a heart attack this last week and they can only surmise it was caused by "broken heart syndrome", so I'm kinda sidelined for the next couple months. Thanks for asking!

Back
Top Bottom