Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

Pics
We have our 6 year old girl, Bubbles, who lays a couple of eggs a week. I think she's a production red. I have a new crop of pullets who almost ready to lay! 3 rhode island reds (all named Gwen after the Spider Man meme), an easter egger named Carol, an Australorpe named Monica, and barred rock named Kamala. We're rebuilding our coop this summer, too.

Hello from Washington. We survived an unusually cold winter and now the rainy season is here. We have 7 Australorps and 5 Blue Sapphires. The rooster I was told is a Silver Maran.

Attachments

• 20240427_104336.jpg
    20240427_104336.jpg
    811.9 KB · Views: 3
No roosters? You might try supplementing their diet with extra protein, and evaluating whether they have enough coop and run space. Good luck!
We are not allowed to have roosters 😟. I try to let them out each day too to free range. I feed them layer feed, right now though I am feeding them feather fixer. What types of extra protein is good for them? I hope to revamp their run so they have more usable space too

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
Hi All,

Thank you for checking in with me. We're about four years into loving and living with our chicken family. We have twenty-one birds, all with names, representing several friendly breeds and different colored eggs.

We've enlarged their enclosure three times to where it now takes up about 1300 sq. ft. One section surrounds an oak tree. The whole thing is protected with wire netting for a roof and in the winter, we add tarps. We've built 3 large coops, so there is plenty of room to encourage all of them to get along and enjoy life.

Unfortunately, we can't free-range the chickens because we have hawks that live in the trees in our fairly rural 2.5-acre yard. It's me I know. I just can't live with losing chickens to wildlife, so we protect them as much as possible.

Around here we have other wildlife as well. There has been the occasional bear that visited our neighbor's coop (that wasn't strongly protected) a year or so ago, and a mountain lion that killed his goats. We share this land with coyotes, bobcats, raccoons and etcetera who also call this area home, so protection is hugely important.

This will be the first spring we're not adding babies. It's so addicting to raise baby chicks, which we have done using one of our hens that is notoriously and dependably broody, but we just don't need more right now. As it is, we give away so many eggs. Maybe we should sell them. That's another conversation.

They're fun. We love every aspect of their care, living with them, and learning more all of the time with the help of this forum and all the wonderful participants.

My best to all of you.

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
I'd forgotten about this site. I'm doing well here, taking a small break from flock expansion to move to a bigger place.

Hi! Thanks for reaching out! We are relatively good here. I also have a “Nugget”! He’s a male welsh harlequin. I have 4 ducks and an African goose that is very intent on nesting and gets very mad at me when I take her eggs away😂. I do have a rescue, pretty sure he’s a khaki that was attracted by we think a hawk or maybe eagle. He recovered from that ordeal but is now sick and we have no idea what it is. I’ve had him to my vet and we put him on antibiotics and pain meds but he has had no improvement. He’s been sick for almost a month now and I really don’t know what else to do for him other than keep him comfortable….😥

Hey all! Thanks for checking in. Right now I’ve got a little guy with one eye and extreme scissor beak, we’re trying to decide between the names Popeye or Mike Wazowski.
Aww, poor baby. Looks like a Popeye name would suit well. I have a scizzorbeak Homing Pigeon, I named her Ziggy because of her zigzag beak. She cannot feed herself at all, so I feed her 2x a day, regular pigeon grain feed & chase it down with baby bird formula which she loves. I have not had any Chickens with this, but I imagine they may need special TLC as well.
20230913_133944.jpg 20231119_161122.jpg 20231119_161114.jpg 20231114_154749.jpg 20231114_152714.jpg 20231006_173352.jpg

Back
Top Bottom