Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

Pics
We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
Still here, 3 new chicks were added during Covid and the run was majorly expanded that year. All has been good in the coop until a month ago. A hawk killed one of the girls (RIP Rhonda) while they were free ranging in the fenced garden area, first time dealing with a hawk in 8 years of having chickens. We have coyotes, foxes, bobcats, bear, racoons in the area but the hardware cloth on the coop and run have kept them safe from these.

Anyway now my garden is covered with Heavy Knotted Poultry Netting from Pinnon Hatch Farms (per recommendations from this group, thank you!). I went with the 2" mesh and am very happy with it.

You can see the coop in the center of the garden. There is an auto door that opens to their large run (enclosed with hardware cloth). The garden is divided into the raised bed area (net covered) and the uncovered area in the foreground right side (chickens don't go in this area any more). I open the door from their run to the covered raised bed garden to give them free range time. So far so good, but I'm being watchful even tho the hawk (and probably it's young) appear to have moved away.

Now I'm back to focusing on getting my garden in :) Thanks for reaching out :)

Attachments

• 2024 garden with net cover.jpg
    2024 garden with net cover.jpg
    306.3 KB · Views: 3
We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
Busy as a beaver growing all kinds of veggies for my chickens. One of my Americana is broody on 3 eggs. Dont want too many chickens but a few extra hens would be nice. Their favorite veggies is kale!

Hi all. As you all know, or may not know, I have a small rescue and have been BUSY!!! Busiest time of the year for us chicken peeps! Lol... Screenshot_20240414_202843_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20240414_202814_Gallery.jpg 20240410_000457.jpg 20240406_215612.jpg 20240406_200625.jpg 20240405_203825.jpg 20240422_114600.jpg

Hello, yes it's been a while!
We changed Jobs, we worked in the house( New kitchen, up grated the bathroom, insulated the roof, and some other stuff you see on the way)
We had a daughter in 2022 who changed our lives in the best wau possible!
And I'm getting 2 more chicken this week!
So life has been good! 😁😁

Still here, 3 new chicks were added during Covid and the run was majorly expanded that year. All has been good in the coop until a month ago. A hawk killed one of the girls (RIP Rhonda) while they were free ranging in the fenced garden area, first time dealing with a hawk in 8 years of having chickens. We have coyotes, foxes, bobcats, bear, racoons in the area but the hardware cloth on the coop and run have kept them safe from these.

Anyway now my garden is covered with Heavy Knotted Poultry Netting from Pinnon Hatch Farms (per recommendations from this group, thank you!). I went with the 2" mesh and am very happy with it.

You can see the coop in the center of the garden. There is an auto door that opens to their large run (enclosed with hardware cloth). The garden is divided into the raised bed area (net covered) and the uncovered area in the foreground right side (chickens don't go in this area any more). I open the door from their run to the covered raised bed garden to give them free range time. So far so good, but I'm being watchful even tho the hawk (and probably it's young) appear to have moved away.

Now I'm back to focusing on getting my garden in :) Thanks for reaching out :)
@LMHallock Very nice set up! ❤

Went to the FL Keys on an anniversary trip with my husband last month, and we were amused to learn that chickens run wild through the keys, even in cities like Key West.

Back home, successfully treated my first case of bumblefoot, and it makes me laugh every time our chickens help themselves into our open house doors.

Attachments

• IMG_0051.jpeg
    IMG_0051.jpeg
    384.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0149.jpeg
    IMG_0149.jpeg
    552.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1116.jpeg
    IMG_1116.jpeg
    762.8 KB · Views: 3
Hello! 🎉
My feather friends are doing well and I am too. They are all healthy now.
Although because of recent heat wave the weather has not been very comfortable, hoping it improves soon.

Hope everyone is doing well too 🎉
Yeah amazing community

Back
Top Bottom