Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

Pics
We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
Hi Rob and BYC community! I took a break from chickens for a year and am now looking forward to my flock 2.0! I have some amendments to my coop (Tractor supply), my dad helped me out by making it MOBILE so now I can rotate short and longer term (off season) locations in my one acre yard in southeastern RI. My local Agway has a buy 2 get one free offer now and I hope they have some chicks left. Life got busy and difficult with health concerns (Lyme disease), my teen and pre-teen, and a new puppy. This community is great. Thanks for the encouragement.

We've had a rough year and are down to just one hen and one roo. Ginger is the hen, she's just turned 4. No. 2 is the roo, he's just turned 3.

I don't even know where to start with everything, but I can list everyone we've lost and how we lost them. The most recent was Jem and her lone chick last spring; all that was left was a flurry of feathers so I'm sure Jem went down fighting (she was the one who was most likely to go after anyone who got too close to her babies when she and Crow hatched No. 1 and No. 2). Not sure if it was a falcon or a coyote, but I suspect a falcon as there's one living nearby who has decided to try picking off the pigeons living in our roof.
So sorry for your loss. Your hen was a brave mommy. :hugs:hugs I home Ginger and the rooster does well. Hey! I don't know if you're interested in changing your rooster's name, but it'd be cool if you named him "Rocky!"
Chicken Run Dance GIF by NETFLIX

Hi Rob and BYC community! I took a break from chickens for a year and am now looking forward to my flock 2.0! I have some amendments to my coop (Tractor supply), my dad helped me out by making it MOBILE so now I can rotate short and longer term (off season) locations in my one acre yard in southeastern RI. My local Agway has a buy 2 get one free offer now and I hope they have some chicks left. Life got busy and difficult with health concerns (Lyme disease), my teen and pre-teen, and a new puppy. This community is great. Thanks for the encouragement.
Welcome back to our amazing community! Having a mobile coop sounds like the best. Good luck on getting your chicks! And I hope your health improves quickly. :hugs:hugs

We've had a rough year and are down to just one hen and one roo. Ginger is the hen, she's just turned 4. No. 2 is the roo, he's just turned 3.

I don't even know where to start with everything, but I can list everyone we've lost and how we lost them. The most recent was Jem and her lone chick last spring; all that was left was a flurry of feathers so I'm sure Jem went down fighting (she was the one who was most likely to go after anyone who got too close to her babies when she and Crow hatched No. 1 and No. 2). Not sure if it was a falcon or a coyote, but I suspect a falcon as there's one living nearby who has decided to try picking off the pigeons living in our roof.
So sorry. :hugs Thanks for sharing with us.

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
Just finished moving my new chicks out of the brooder in my office and out to the hen house :D

This sounds like a fun idea! I wonder if you'll get any replies????
Hi
I'm still here, but up to my eyes in it. We've no birds at the moment 'cos a pine martin decided it was hungry and broke in and killed the lot. Not nice !! We are looking to start again when I have sorted the coop (which I thought was secure).
Hi! Yes, I'm still here. Been nursing a sick hen - don't know what's wrong, but she's sucking all my time! I currently have 5, will likely get more as time goes on. I've started fermenting their food, and they really seem to love it!

Hi! Yes, I'm still here. Been nursing a sick hen - don't know what's wrong, but she's sucking all my time! I currently have 5, will likely get more as time goes on. I've started fermenting their food, and they really seem to love it!
Welcome back and thanks for posting! So sorry about your poor girl. Have you tried posting a thread in this section to see if some of our experts could give you some advice on her and maybe help you figure out what's wrong?

Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures

Thank you for getting in touch. We're all fine, thank you, but I've been busy and not spending much time online.
I've been catching up on music and having singing lessons - and practising in the run :) As the bantams have a particular call that means 'time to go to bed', I decided to start singing a lullaby when I shut them up at night (Golden Slumbers) and wondered whether they'd learn to recognise it.

One evening Ginger decided she'd rather hunt worms than come to bed and refused to be shooed inside. But when I sang Golden Slumbers, she hurried in straight away!
Another time, they were messing about squabbling over who goes in before whom. I couldn't wait so I sang their lullaby and they went straight in.

Thank you for getting in touch. We're all fine, thank you, but I've been busy and not spending much time online.
I've been catching up on music and having singing lessons - and practising in the run :) As the bantams have a particular call that means 'time to go to bed', I decided to start singing a lullaby when I shut them up at night (Golden Slumbers) and wondered whether they'd learn to recognise it.

One evening Ginger decided she'd rather hunt worms than come to bed and refused to be shooed inside. But when I sang Golden Slumbers, she hurried in straight away!
Another time, they were messing about squabbling over who goes in before whom. I couldn't wait so I sang their lullaby and they went straight in.
Welcome back to BackYard Chickens! That is sooo cool that you can do that and they listen! You should try capturing a video of that and share it on here (if you're comfortable with doing that). I'm sure there's a lot of us peeps who would be just amazed at that as I am.

Back
Top Bottom