Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

Pics
Yes, I've been very busy with work (I'm supposed to be retired!). My partner has now taken over the duties of giving them treats and releasing them 1h before sunset, as I'm never home... :-(
We had two clucky hens in late 2022 so I decided to give them some fertilised eggs: 12 Gold lace Wyandotte, 8 copper Marans (black & silver) and 4 Welsummer. They would steal each others eggs so I had to keep redistributing them, but hatching was a success (18 live out of 24). They were fantastic mums! It was quite entertaining to watch them competing to feed the chicks who were always well looked after. We couldn't keep any of the chicks but they went to good homes. The GLW have grown into 6 beautiful hens and one rooster!
What's this neat looking thing?
20221204_171617.jpg

I got the email too! So yeah. It’s been a while. All my flock are doing good.. Been working on my garden lately. Made it through several rounds of layoffs at my job. Kids getting older and my beard is getting longer! Kicking around the idea of raising some quell. Just haven’t sold my wife on it yet. lol
What's the going rate these days... asking for a friend. LOL!!!!!

Awkward Season 4 GIF by The Office

Yup, definitely easy to keep busy with garden, job, family, and just... life. Glad to hear your flock is doing well through it all.

Raising quail? That sounds like an adventure. My GF LOVES quail. I hear they smell like milk?

It's just now starting to warm up, so the chickens and I have just been in survival mode these last few months. What have we been up to? Well, we have 20 hens, 2 roosters, and 10 new chicks (3 from incubator and 7 from momma hens). We also just recently branched out and purchased 100 "meat chickens". They are now 4 weeks old and some are as big as our layers. I love Spring!
Sounds like you have a great thing going on. Do you sell the meat birds?

Wow I haven’t been on here in so long, and the only reason I came back was because of @Nifty-Chicken checking in lol!

My update is I don’t have any chickens anymore, I became a bit more busy and didn’t have time to care for them, so I sold most of mine. :(

I will definitely have more in the future though, I will never stop the urge to keep incubating and hatching chicks!

Thanks for checking in, Nifty!

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
Hi there Nifty-Chicken! Thanks for checking. I still have chickens and love having them around and interacting with them. A week ago though they were attacked by a fox. Three were killed including my favorite, one was unharmed and one had been attacked but still alive. I've been nursing that one back to health and I think she's gonna make it because she's eating and drinking and walking around. It's really a miracle because she was lying in the chicken yard on her side and lots of her feathers had been plucked out but I could see she was still breathing. Anyway so now Im down to two chickens and they're staying in the coop for now until I can build a fortress to keep them safe.

What's the going rate these days... asking for a friend. LOL!!!!!

Awkward Season 4 GIF by The Office

Yup, definitely easy to keep busy with garden, job, family, and just... life. Glad to hear your flock is doing well through it all.

Raising quail? That sounds like an adventure. My GF LOVES quail. I hear they smell like milk?
What nutter told you quail smell like milk?

Well, sadly I’ve had a significant life event 2 years ago. My significant other of 11 years passed away just 2 days before his 53rd birthday. 8 months later I decided to leave the upstate of SC where I had lived for 27 years and move back to my home state of Florida. Sadly I had to sell all of my chickens but luckily I was able to find them all a good home with the same person.

I’m settled in my new home now, just me and my 2 big fur babies. I don’t live in a neighborhood with a HOA so if I decide to, one day I can get more chickens one day. Someone near me has them because I had a black hen visit my backyard right after I moved in.

I'm really so sorry to hear about your loss, and I can only imagine how difficult these past couple of years have been for you. It sounds like you've made some big changes, and it's good to know you're settling into your new place in Florida. It's a silver-lining that you found a good home for all your chickens.

Glad to hear you don't have the restrictions of an HOA. Maybe someday you'll get a new flock, but in the meantime I hope you and your fur babies continue to settle in. We'd love to see some pics of your fur babies. Many of us have... or wish we could have some furry friends.

Take care, and thank you for sharing your story with us.

Hi, I am doing fine, just spent most of the time in TEG as I am more for a gardening person. Our hens are also doing fine, too.

We built two chicken runs with roof and felt so relieved to see hens have a dry and relatively warm place to stay in the winter. Now, we are working again the chicken tunnels that can lead them to mow for us, haha. I will update both chicken food towers and some others later in the summer. :D

Thanks for reaching out.
We can understand that you're over at our sister site https://www.theeasygarden.com most of the time. It's a great little community! :)

It sounds like you’ve been making some fantastic improvements for your hens with the new runs and tunnels. I've been wanting to do some tunnels as well... similarly for weed-abatement. Any chance you have pics? I'm thinking I'd like to do more before / after pics... even a time-lapse of my chickens mowing weeds LOL!.

Well, I bet they appreciate having such a cozy space, especially during the winter!

Happy gardening and chicken raising! Thanks for checking in with us.

Back
Top Bottom