Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

Been quiet on here for a while, life etc! My 2 silver appleyards ( Florence & Violet) are the light of my life and now 3 years old !
No problems so far although Florence has been laying shell less eggs lately. As long as she’s perky & healthy which she is, I don’t see it as a problem 🥰
Hope everyone is ok , Carol x
Make sure Florence is getting a balanced diet which includes enough calcium. Laying shell less eggs can be a sign of a major issue brewing.

Hello-I received an invitation to post,so I will start off with some sad news-and happy news.First,on the 2nd of April,my little 16-year-old bantam black cochin rooster died of heart failure,after his last meal.He had a heart murmur for the last 6 years or so,but was still quite active and feisty,until about a month before his death.He was the oldest chicken I had to date,outliving my 15-year-old partridge cochin hen(full size),my 14-1/2 year old brown leghorn,and my 13 year-old golden sebright.He had just celebrated his 16th birthday right before he left.He will be sorely missed.
I also lost my pal Jerry 2 months ago from a sudden heart attack as well.I had rescued a pair of red sex-link roosters,Tom and Jerry from some people who could not keep them--because these two "naughty boys" would not leave the geese and ducks alone!They were quite a pair,a comedy team that lived up to their cartoon character names!I got them home,and-true-to-form,they were in hot pursuit of my geese! But they were a friendly pair,and instead of wanting to be with the other chickens--they followed me around the shop in my barn! Now,I just have Tommy,who has found friendship(sorta) with one of my Americauna roosters,but it's just not the same without Jerry.He was the real life-of-the-party.
On the good side,I just acquired some new chicks from the feed store for the first time in several years.Last year,after I had moved to a much better location with a fixed-up barn,there was one baby that was born after my feisty little mixed-breed bantam boy bred with one of my red-star hens.My baby girl just turned one year old this last April 6th,and is doing well,just a bit on the small side,though,after a bit of a rocky start.One of my new chicks this year,turned out to be a very rare breed Svart Hona hen--and she is growing very large,very fast!About a third bigger than the other "girls" she is with.I would like to get more Brahmas,they are my favorite.
Hello-I received an invitation to post,so I will start off with some sad news-and happy news.First,on the 2nd of April,my little 16-year-old bantam black cochin rooster died of heart failure,after his last meal.He had a heart murmur for the last 6 years or so,but was still quite active and feisty,until about a month before his death.He was the oldest chicken I had to date,outliving my 15-year-old partridge cochin hen(full size),my 14-1/2 year old brown leghorn,and my 13 year-old golden sebright.He had just celebrated his 16th birthday right before he left.He will be sorely missed.
I also lost my pal Jerry 2 months ago from a sudden heart attack as well.I had rescued a pair of red sex-link roosters,Tom and Jerry from some people who could not keep them--because these two "naughty boys" would not leave the geese and ducks alone!They were quite a pair,a comedy team that lived up to their cartoon character names!I got them home,and-true-to-form,they were in hot pursuit of my geese! But they were a friendly pair,and instead of wanting to be with the other chickens--they followed me around the shop in my barn! Now,I just have Tommy,who has found friendship(sorta) with one of my Americauna roosters,but it's just not the same without Jerry.He was the real life-of-the-party.
On the good side,I just acquired some new chicks from the feed store for the first time in several years.Last year,after I had moved to a much better location with a fixed-up barn,there was one baby that was born after my feisty little mixed-breed bantam boy bred with one of my red-star hens.My baby girl just turned one year old this last April 6th,and is doing well,just a bit on the small side,though,after a bit of a rocky start.One of my new chicks this year,turned out to be a very rare breed Svart Hona hen--and she is growing very large,very fast!About a third bigger than the other "girls" she is with.I would like to get more Brahmas,they are my favorite.
Hello! It sounds like you have a lot going on with your flock - both sad moments of loss and happy new additions. It's always tough to say goodbye to beloved animals, but it's heartwarming to see how much you care for your flock. The story of your bantam black cochin rooster living to be 16 years old is truly impressive, and it's evident how much he meant to you.

Jerry sounds like he was truly one of a kind, and the dynamic duo of Tom and Jerry must have brought so much joy to your farm. It's tough losing such vibrant personalities. Tommy may find a new groove in time, but Jerry's presence will surely be missed. Sending you warmth during this time of transition.

It's also lovely to hear about the new chicks you have welcomed into your barn, especially the Svart Hona hen! And happy belated birthday to your one-year-old offspring from last year, it's great to hear that she's doing well.

Thank you for sharing both the challenges and joys of caring for your feathered companions. Wishing you all the best with your current flock and any future additions you may have!

The chickens have been doing well. There are a few that still get me worried, like Betty whose ascites need constant attention, and Butterfly (4 yr old ISA brown), whose cohorts of same breed and age all died in the span of a few months for unknown reasons. Still, the rest are healthy, and we have more eggs than we know what to do with. Our friends really appreciate our colorful eggs!
Welcome back! It's good to hear that most of your flock is healthy, despite some worries with Betty and Butterfly. Your colorful eggs must be a hit among your friends! Here's to continued good health and abundant egg production for your flock.

Hello! Been busy as well. Lost one beautiful girl to water belly lost fall. Got a puppy over the holidays (border collie number 3). Kiddo is in his first year of 4h so we added a few exhibition RIRs to our flock back in February. Enjoying having the youngsters around. We started with 7 and are down to 5 😔. Looks like we have 2 cockrels and 3 pullets. They are all very sweet. Pic is the most recent I've taken of some of the gals enjoying a freshly tilled garden.
20240312_181832.jpg
Welcome back!! Sorry to hear about your loss last fall, I've lost a few to water belly too:(, but congrats on your new puppy and your kiddo's first year in 4H! Those exhibition RIRs sound like a great addition to your flock. The photo of your gals in the garden is lovely—thanks for sharing! Here's to more adventures with your feathered and furry friends.

I am still here too!! 2 years in with my flock & still loving it every day! Survived another New England winter, and everyone is doing great and looking forward to having green grass to scratch around in soon!
Hey there, welcome back! Glad to hear you're still going strong with your flock after two years! Surviving another New England winter is no small feat. Here's to warmer days ahead and plenty of green grass for your feathered friends to enjoy

Back
Top Bottom