Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

Wow - it's been a while! There are only 3 of my original 10 B.O.hens left. Predator pressure here was wicked, for a while. But, we've since brought in more - Black Austrolorps, Barred Rock, and a few Golden Comets. We are currently at 15, including the only rooster that didn't go to freezer camp.
We've also tried our hand with quail (not our cup of tea) and turkeys (we loved and may do again, in a couple years). In addition to the 15 chickens, we now have 11 cross-bred ducks & drakes (buff orpingtons, duclair, and black Swedish), that are laying quite nicely and seem to love our pond, 3 adult Muskovy ducks, and a little brood of 11 Muskovy ducklings.
I'm not sure if I've posted about the goats, but we started with 3 Nigora goats, the November following getting that first batch of hens, we've had some losses, but that tiny herd has now grown to 9, including the 2 that are only a week old, born on consecutive days. There will also be another joining our little farm, at the end of summer. We've also expanded to sheep. In December, a friend discovered she and her dad had alpha gal, and gave us a pair of babydoll/ Southdown sheep, which have now produced their first lamb, about a month ago.

We're having trouble with ticks & copperhead snakes, so we're planning to bring in some guineas, to help combat those. And, we're on the fence about LGDs, because neither of us has any experience with them - but it feels like we need to learn. Our farm is most DEFINITELY keeping hubby and me busy.

I hope everyone is doing great!! (I'll try to read through the rest of the replies, tomorrow) Here are pictures of some of our critters - weirdly, not the bucks, ram, chickens, or adult Muskovys). Apparently, I need to get more current photos!
Such gorgeous pictures! :love Thank you for sharing! We have a border collie and a corgi that keep the wildlife in the forest behind our place to stay away, but no idea how they'd deal with snakes!

Can I ask what the downfall to raising quail was for you? I only hear good things and was considering it, but my only downfall about them is they only live a couple of years.

Hey guys! Haven't been on in a while! My chickens are doing good! Just started letting them out into my backyard to start foraging now that the weathers nice and plants are starting to come back!
Glad you're back and glad to hear your chickens are doing well. I'm anxious for spring too but Mother Nature just doesn't cooperate too well this year!

Checking in.... Yes, I saw chickens in my future and I was right! I have 9 chickens. Got them at different stages. Two groups of three as pullets and 4 as chicks that I raised. Sadly one passed away from the second group of three. Had them for around 2.5 years or so.
Hiya, and glad to see you back! Raising chickens only gets frustrating when we lose or or more. Otherwise, they bring great joy, which you've experienced!

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
We haven't really been up to anything. My flock got cut basically in half last fall mostly due to a pack of coyotes and a couple were lost to canker. It has been a hard time emotionally. But the flock I have left is doing great and super happy to see the green grass and buggies.

Good morning from the Lake Murray area of SC :)
Doing good here, thanks for checking-in ... no time for chickens yet because we've been so busy working our regular jobs, plus loads of arthritis pain due to winter cold and rains. Soon, my dears, soon... God's timing ;)
Good morning, Phyllis, and glad to hear from you. We'll love to hear when you are able to get some chickens, or ducks, or whatever. They all are such a joy. I hope you find something to help your arthritis. Chickens are good for a lot of things, but unfortunately, just a distraction from our pain. :love

Hi there, we're still around. We dont have any birds anymore as our living situation has changed and we were forced to find a safe home for them. We feel it everyday though.
Hopefully in the future we will be in the position where we could start new or get them back!
Awe, that had to be hard but we all have to do what we have to do. Hopefully, soon you'll be able to have them again!! Do post some pictures when the time comes!

It has been crazy busy at the farm, between these new meat birds, baby turkeys, baby chicks and goslings. I am up to my elbows and feathers.!🤦🏻‍♀️🤣 thanks for checking in on us, sometimes life gets busy! Heading to a poultry swap this morning, but only to buy antiques.
Hope everybody else is doing wonderful happy spring 🐣

View attachment 3813429
Thank you, and happy spring to you as well! 🌹🌷

We love those poultry swaps too!! It's like rummage sales combined with poultry!

Hello everyone it has been a long time since I have posted. Just wanted to catch up. Hope you have a fantastic Summer coming up.
I am going to be planting a garden different that ever before. My greenhouse was destroyed by a heavy snow this year. I am going to try just growing outside using the growing bins that made it through the disaster and some Smart Pots. Living in Colorado the growing season is short so I had lost all in the greenhouse and I am starting by scratch. I am praying I get it right. I have only been gardening since the pandemic it was all new to me so I started out in five gallon buckets and a tarp over top then got the greenhouse. I started chickens the year before. They are so much fun and get rid of stress which is amazing.

I have one four yr old Buff Orpington, Five two year old's, they are 2- Wyandots, 1 - red and white Rhode Island, 1- red Rhode Island, 1- Buff Orpington and one rescue I have no idea of the age she is an a Aracuna and I have four one and a half week old chicks, 2 are Cochins, 1 is a Jersey Giant and one is a Blue Orpington.

I have heard that the Blue Orpington's are as lovable as the Buff.

All my older girls are named and are so spoiled they love to sit in my swing with me and get treats and run to me as soon as I come out my back door. I live in town on a 1/4 acre lot and they have a beautiful coop and run but they run free 95% of the time in my yard. I have all the landscape with bushes and trees that are safe for chickens.

My problem at the moment is a squirrel that has taken up space under the coop. Anyone have any ideas how to get it to leave?

God bless you all.
Callen

Last edited:
Good morning;
It has been a while since I've posted anything, but I have been reading those items that have shown up in my in box.
The chickens seem to be outliving the computers and phones over the last 8 years: I'm currently on machine number 4 & phone number 2, but still have 3 of the original hens , a bunch of their babies & nieces & nephews.

They've survived/are surviving lots of hospital visits for DH over the last 8 years, in some ways easier than the dogs. The chickens are always set up for 24 hours just in case - They have to be seeing as everyone is afraid of the rooster, who is actually a doll who loves being cuddled. But, do not threaten him as he will be relentless in trying to clear you off the property. He also seems to have a long memory.

Chris
Hiya Chris, and nice to hear from you! :frow Glad all is going well, even the electronics! :oops:

Back
Top Bottom