Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

I have 2 roosters that aren't an issue yet as far as the chicks' safety goes, but for breeding purposes.... How long before I need to worry about separating or culling them?
It depends on whether the roos are related to your hens. If they hatched from home-grown and fertilized eggs, then you should be OK for several generations before swopping for new blood. If they hatched from purchased hatching eggs and your hens were not from the same source, then they should be OK for up to 6 generations.

Any suggestions of cool new breeds? I'm always up for trying something new!
As your flock free ranges whenever possible, can I suggest Swedish Flowers (very pretty as well as predator aware and great foragers) and/or Penedesencas (very predator savvy, great foragers, and dark brown eggs)?

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
Hey there! Thanks for thinking of me. Yes we've been busy growing our farm! In fact, we are just hatching goslings right this minute!

Attachments

• 17146297542121405375939351691408.jpg
    17146297542121405375939351691408.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 1
Hi 👋

Yes, I've been super busy with my kids and my animals. I have a momma duck with 7 new babies hatched April 25-26. She loves her babies but it's her first time and she doesn't quite know what to do with them so I installed a heat lamp for them today so they won't get cold. They are doing well. I also had hatching eggs shipped in from Missouri and May 1st was the hatch day, have 4 baby ducks so far, 9 more to go... and I have 2 older baby ducks in the house half the time they live in the bathtub and half the time they live in a big box in the kitchen. They are big and fat and spoiled. So that's what I've been up to lately :)

I'm pretty active here but not nearly as much as usual, there has been a lot going on. My mom's dad passed away a few weeks ago, a bunch of friends want me to go out and do things with them, and I'm hopefully getting a puppy next weekend. So a lot to juggle at once.

Hi 👋

Yes, I've been super busy with my kids and my animals. I have a momma duck with 7 new babies hatched April 25-26. She loves her babies but it's her first time and she doesn't quite know what to do with them so I installed a heat lamp for them today so they won't get cold. They are doing well. I also had hatching eggs shipped in from Missouri and May 1st was the hatch day, have 4 baby ducks so far, 9 more to go... and I have 2 older baby ducks in the house half the time they live in the bathtub and half the time they live in a big box in the kitchen. They are big and fat and spoiled. So that's what I've been up to lately :)
Always nice to get kids involved with poultry and animals, really gets kids of to a good start in life. Glad you are enjoying this adventure!

good layer feed check
fresh water check

how do i look for parasites?
Bugs are pretty apparent on birds around the vent or back of the neck. The skin will look red, feathers missing or ratty looking, bug eggs can look like a lot of dirt on the feather shafts near the skin. You can actually see lice scurrying around. Red mites can cause tiny scabs on the skin.

Back
Top Bottom