Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

Hello. Worked for a year but now fully retired. My “sanctuary “ has grown a bit. Up to 44 chickens (8) roosters, 8 ducks, 12 goats, 15 turkeys, 5 guineas, about 10 cats, and 2 great farm dogs. Keeps me busy!
I do have a question. One of my turkeys has chronic bumble foot. Would meds help at this point?
Oh wow, congratulations on retiring and on your "sanctuary" Sounds like a nice collection of animals! For the bumblefoot, it's probably a good idea to start a thread about it:https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures.10/post-thread
Antibiotics alone won't treat the bumble, so you might need to do some soaks and possibly cut it open to remove the infection.

Hey everyone! We've been doing good, but we did have three losses last year. Fortunately the current flock is staying healthy and happy. We're currently dealing with all of the joys of the Oklahoma tornado season so lots of storms pretty regularly here.

I've been fighting the urge to get chicks since our coop and run setup are at capacity, but I'm loving everyone's chick photos! Keep em coming 💛💛💛
Welcome back to BYC! Sorry for your losses glad your current ones are doing good!

Thanks for the nudge. I don't hang out in forums and such much. Since getting my 1st 10 chicks in 2020, chicken math has taken over. Now I'm raising dual purpose and meat birds, have added 3 coops to keep flocks separate, 2 incubators and 2 brooders, and lots of chicks have come and gone. Also added dairy goats and rabbits, plus our normal gardens. So we stay pretty busy around here. here's a pic of my recent dual purpose hatch (i keep giving them more space as they grow). Extra roos go to Camp Frigidaire. Oh, we've also learned to process them ourselves. It's busy season, so I better get back to work.

Attachments

• 20240426_100446.jpg
    20240426_100446.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Thanks for the nudge. I don't hang out in forums and such much. Since getting my 1st 10 chicks in 2020, chicken math has taken over. Now I'm raising dual purpose and meat birds, have added 3 coops to keep flocks separate, 2 incubators and 2 brooders, and lots of chicks have come and gone. Also added dairy goats and rabbits, plus our normal gardens. So we stay pretty busy around here. here's a pic of my recent dual purpose hatch (i keep giving them more space as they grow). Extra roos go to Camp Frigidaire. Oh, we've also learned to process them ourselves. It's busy season, so I better get back to work.
Welcome back to BYC! Chicken math will definitely get you! Dairy goats and rabbits sound fun!

hey guys! The chickens and i are doing great- we’ve got the chickens semi-free range and the girls are happier than ever. Now that it’s spring, we’ve got more eggs than we know what to do with, which means we’ve been making a whole lotta flan and scones. Thanks for inviting us to check in! <3
Welcome back to BYC! Glad everyone is doing great! I would also do a whole lotta cooking/baking lol.

Hey there! I’ve been away from here for awhile. I seem to be back down to one chicken again this year. So I guess I’m living up to my user name. Time to get some more girls. I like to keep my flock small. The one I have now is Domino, a Barred Rock. I’ll make a point of checking in more often✌️🐓🫶🐓
Welcome back to BYC! Hope you can get some more girls!

This is girlygirlsmom and haven't posted in a while. My 8 girls have been reduced to 7; had a spontaneous death of one of my Sussex, Dot, a favorite. Was well and active one moment and dropped dead the next. Was very upset; was no warning. Came out in the yard with her sisters and in moments dropped dead. All others well and active since this happened about 7 months ago.
Have really enjoyed them all. Very tame, follows us around talking and most of them enjoy sitting on laps and talking.
Went through a hard molt in October, feathers everywhere, no eggs, actually seemed to lose weight, weren't eating as well. Lasted through most of December. Finally made it through and laying lots of eggs.
I still have coffee grounds in their nest box but sand on the coop floor and in the run. The run opens into a 45 foot yard protected with chicken wire and mesh. They love it. Hawks soon learned not to bother.
In the low teens this winter I used a oil filled heater to keep the temp around high 20's, low 30's. Have good ventilation in coop and had no problems.
Had on instance of crop problem with one hen, isolated her, did massage several times a day and got her through it. Another injured her toe, got infected and toenail and part of toe fell off. After soaking her foot, giving antibiotic, applying a dressing it was not healing so I took her to a livestock vet. She put her on Baytril and finally the wound closed over and healed. Elsie was a trooper through the whole thing and is well and healthy today albeit missing the better part of her toe.
My girls are such a blessing, so relaxing to interact with them. I ferment their feed, they love dandelions, marigolds, sprouts that I grow. They are a little over 2 years old now.
I am now allowing them some time in the big yard for about an hour since the family of hawks have moved on. I think they got into a huge carfuffle with the many crows around here and left.
Hope everyone is doing well.
Welcome back to BYC! Sorry for your loss of your favorite girl its always hard to lose them.

Back
Top Bottom