Chick’s eye is healing shut!

RooFernando

Hatching
Jun 17, 2020
Hello all!

I am a newbie chicken owner and one of my 6 week old chicks is having an eye problem. She got a horrible eye infection that I fought with for several weeks. Now that the eyes are doing better, I noticed that one of them seems to be healing up too well! The eye slit has gotten so small I can barely see her eyeball. I cleaned it regularly, added antibiotic drops, and Vaseline as it healed. I thought the Vaseline would help it stay open, but I guess not. What should I do now? I can tell that she can still see out of both eyes; they are not damaged. I would hate for her to ‘lose’ a good eye just bc the eyelid healed shut! Any ideas would be helpful! Thanks!

Sorry for the delay! I’m attaching a picture of the chick’s eye. I had a hard time keeping her from scratching all her feathers off around her eye, too.

Attachments

• 69E16E59-117D-44C6-BFDF-5AD45B45E7A3.jpeg
    69E16E59-117D-44C6-BFDF-5AD45B45E7A3.jpeg
    64.4 KB · Views: 52
That is pus behind the eye. Chickens pus is different then ours. It is like a hard kernel and its putting pressure on the eye itself. It must be removed manually . Gloves are a must as it can be transferred to you. I hope to give you over to someone else that can instruct you on just how to do that.
@oldhenlikesdogs @casportpony

I got all of the solid pus out. I dig around in there daily and finally realized it is part of the eye socket. She lost a lot of weight when she was sick and the feathers are gone making the eye socket seem like it’s sticking out further than usual. I’ve even kind of knocked on the part that’s protruding and it has a hard sound like bone. At this point, even if it was pus I don’t know how I would get it out with the eye slit being so small. I’m just not sure how to open the slit back up for her.

If a vet is an option, then by all means, take them to the vet. If not, then you'll likely need to cut a slit in the skin to give the pus an exit.

Basic instructions (I am NOT a vet):

I've found disposable scalpels at my feed store. Get some disposable gloves as the infectious material is probably septic (and contagious to humans). Gather old, clean towels/rags. You'll need several.

Having a partner to help you hold the bird will be helpful, but if you don't have a buddy, then wrap the bird gently, yet firmly in a towel, with their head exposed. This will effectively bind the wings & feet without applying too much pressure on the respiratory system. Expect heavy bleeding when you cut the skin on the external eyelid. All facial wounds bleed like the dickens, so don't panic. The feed store likely sells a blood-stop powder too.

So, cut the lower eyelid open to give the pus a path of least resistance, and squeeze it like you would a cyst or blackhead, with firm yet gentle pressure under the pus pocket with the force directing it to the opening that you created.

Once you've got all the pus out, apply more blood-stop powder, avoiding the eye itself. House the bird alone, but within eye and ear-shot of its mates, you should be able to put them back in with their flock in a day or two. Monitor the healing, confirming that swelling is going down and doesn't appear to remain infected.

Keeping you and your feathered family in my prayers.

Have you tried applying warm wet compresses to the eye while holding her for about 10 minutes? Saline or Bausch and Lomb saline eye wash is available at most drug stores and Walmart for about $4. You can make your own by boiling 1 tsp of salt in a quart of water, then cooling it in a clean jar. Eye secretions and pus will dry and become crusty, but softening and removing a little each time will eventually help. Antibiotic eye ointment such as Terramycin eye ointment from a feed store (ask a clerk for it,) or plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic is good if that is not found. Most swollen pus filled eyes are due to either a respiratory infection, such as MG or coryza, or from a peck wound that is infected. Here are some graphic videos of removing pus:

I have an adult chicken that two years ago needed surgery from the vet twice for a puss filled eye issue. The eye opened back up after the pus was cleared and the swelling went down. We also ended up putting the chicken on Baytril, but are unable to ever eat her eggs as it is unsafe to eat eggs from chickens who have been Baytril.

Back
Top Bottom