Chick being "picked on"?

msbliss

Songster
12 Years
Nov 20, 2007
This is my first hatch and it's exciting! I just know what to do & how from the great info here & reading books. Can't recall seeing this mentioned & looking for advice what to do. The first chick was born 2:30 today & since then there have been 7 more (various breeds). They're all nice & strong & healthy - no problems whatsoever.

However, I'm supposed to leave the 'bator closed until all the chicks hatch (24 eggs) but the 2nd chick from 4:30 (a buff orp) seems to be getting picked on by some of the others. It looks like they're poking at her eye which is fine at the moment but that's gotta hurt. She's fluffed out - should I put her in the brooder by herself...or maybe move some of the others that have dried out also with her? Is this just their way of exploring and they'll work it out??
idunno.gif

It is normal for them to pick at each other when they first hatch. They will grab each others feet a bit too when they are moved to the brooder. They are trying to learn what is edible and what is not. I would not get concerned yet. Hang in there..you're doing fine.

Jody

Back
Top Bottom