Sconiemamabear

Chirping
Feb 21, 2022
Wisconsin
We made the decision to use a heat plate in our brooder. Looking at either the rent a coop 12x12 or the premier 1 12x12 for our 10 chicks. Reading different reviews as well as different threads I’m having a hard time deciding if we need to get the adjustable temp gauge with it. I don’t see one specific for the rent a coop one but premier sells one on the side. What are people’s experience? If you’ve used the adjustable gauge, how do you know what to adjust it to? Rent a Coop has decent reviews on Amazon but I’ve seen Premier mentioned a lot on here. We will be keeping the brooder in our unfinished, old but remodeled farm house basement. Thank you in advance for any insight and help!

Where are you located? How cold is it outside?

I brooded a batch of 15 chicks in the built-in brooder in my coop in a NY spring when the nighttime temps dipped below 25F. I used a Titan plate. I tossed an old towel over the top of it and arranged it so it draped down all the way around except in the front. The front legs were kept 1 notch higher than the back legs and I made it so the chicks could walk under it without really ducking too much.
chicks-1.jpg

They did just great.

If it isn't going to get much below 25F at night where you are, I would brood them out in a porch or garage or someplace you can secure that will get some sun and lots of fresh air instead of the basement. Keeping them on a natural circadian rhythm with tons of fresh air is much better for their development and health.

Where are you located? How cold is it outside?

I brooded a batch of 15 chicks in the built-in brooder in my coop in a NY spring when the nighttime temps dipped below 25F. I used a Titan plate. I tossed an old towel over the top of it and arranged it so it draped down all the way around except in the front. The front legs were kept 1 notch higher than the back legs and I made it so the chicks could walk under it without really ducking too much.
View attachment 3001439

They did just great.

If it isn't going to get much below 25F at night where you are, I would brood them out in a porch or garage or someplace you can secure that will get some sun and lots of fresh air instead of the basement. Keeping them on a natural circadian rhythm with tons of fresh air is much better for their development and health.
I’m in northern Wisconsin. It would be between the garage or the basement. They both get about the same amount of light. I think my brain is stuck in winter mode because I forgot it would be well above zero by April 🤦🏼‍♀️ I think we will just be keeping them in the garage.

I read a bunch of threads here and that's what I decided. However, being a belt and suspenders guy I'm going to have a heat lamp available for hanging (they're cheap to buy). If there's any problem I can move quickly to a different heat source-- though it is more expensive to operate!

I read a bunch of threads here and that's what I decided. However, being a belt and suspenders guy I'm going to have a heat lamp available for hanging (they're cheap to buy). If there's any problem I can move quickly to a different heat source-- though it is more expensive to operate!
Heat lamps in tubs tend to overheat the chicks and cause pasty butt. Triple secure the lamp and make sure only one end of the brooder is warm if you go with a lamp instead a plate.

I’ve just bought a heat plate to use for the first time and I’m also wondering how high it’s supposed to be (for day old chicks), are they supposed to be able to stand up under it or are they supposed to lay down?

I’ve just bought a heat plate to use for the first time and I’m also wondering how high it’s supposed to be (for day old chicks), are they supposed to be able to stand up under it or are they supposed to lay down?

I put mine on the lowest position for day olds. I think the idea is to allow their backs to touch when they go underneath (which is usually where they'll sleep for the first weeks). As they grew, I raised the plate to its higher settings (to allow for the chicks' growth as well as to allow them to acclimate to the ambient temp more efficiently). My chicks are 4 weeks now and I have the brooder plate at its highest position. The chicks rarely go under it (mostly roost on top of it, lol), but a couple will nap under it once in a while.

Best to set it so one side is higher than the other, so they can touch it while sitting down (on one side) and also while standing (other side). That also lets them fine tune how much heat they're getting.

Back
Top Bottom