Chick... depression????

LittleBigBantam

Songster
Sep 10, 2019
Hellloooo everybody
After a stressful 20 days my silkie/laying hen chick finally hatched!.. but with no brothers/sisters. He knows how to eat/drink now... he hatched yesterday at around 2:40. He doesnt make alot of noise and seems to just sit underneath the heat pad. I know it is warm enough as I already checked

What can I do for this poor baby chicken.. is he lonely or is there something else wrong?? Please help!!

Attachments

• 20200326_164905.jpg
    20200326_164905.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 25
Dip its beak in the water, peck at the feed with your finger to attract the chick, provide a mirror for company - some chicks simply fail to thrive.
Will he like... die or anything??? I'm probably being extremely over dramatic lol.
I already showed him to eat and drink and he does that on his own, but, whenever I dont move him, he doesn't really move that far and he's super quiet. Should i be concerned for his health or is it just loneliness

What is this ^^ Stressful 20 days...for who, you or the chick?

Can he walk at all?
For me haha. All of the other eggs were not fertilized so he was the only egg in there, and all I could think of is what could go wrong

But he's getting better now. He can walk around and eat/drink when I'm in the room. Usually I have to put my hand in the brooder to get him interested enough to come out.

Is there a way you can get him a buddy?
A lone chick is...lonely.
A stuffed animal to snuggle with may help.

Do you have a place to put him outside when he's older?
Chicks that are a bit slow/need a boost, I like to give them Poultry Cell or Poultry Nutri-Drench for 3-5 days. Give 2-3 drops twice a day.

Is there a way you can get him a buddy?
A lone chick is...lonely.
A stuffed animal to snuggle with may help.

Do you have a place to put him outside when he's older?
Chicks that are a bit slow/need a boost, I like to give them Poultry Cell or Poultry Nutri-Drench for 3-5 days. Give 2-3 drops twice a day.
Yea I have a little stuffed Robin in there with him that he snuggles with. I'm debating on putting a little mirror in there with him

Give him lots of attention. I had a duckling once, his only friend died and we didn't give him enough attention and he hopped out of his cage looking for us and got cold and died. Good luck!
Yea I've been with him from 6:30 this morning until now. I've been going in there frequently. He follows my hand wherever I put it in the brooder, and he snuggles into my sweatshirt whenever I pick him up.:love

Back
Top Bottom