Chick(en) Grit

creedatticus

Songster
Apr 16, 2022
Provo, Utah
With our chicks that are almost ready for going to the coop, i sprinkle their grit into the food. what would be a good container to put their grit in on the side? i tried tupperware containers and they just get so much shavings in it! i also used a cup and they wouldn’t use it. what container works best? also when they move to full size grit outside what kind of container works best?

With our chicks that are almost ready for going to the coop, i sprinkle their grit into the food. what would be a good container to put their grit in on the side? i tried tupperware containers and they just get so much shavings in it! i also used a cup and they wouldn’t use it. what container works best? also when they move to full size grit outside what kind of container works best?
Maybe a mini rubber pan?

When they were tiny I wired a small metal cup into the brooder so that it was up a few inches and they didn't scratch shavings into it.
If they are going to have access to the outside dirt when they're older, you probably don't need to offer grit. They can find what they need in most substrates.

Parrot cups, cheap and easy to hang on any wire mesh.
parrotcup.jpg

I use a small, flat bottomed, ceramic dish, essentially a cat food dish, set next to one of the legs of my raised coop. This contains my free-choice calcium source (crushed oyster shell + crushed eggshells when girls are laying). The girls have never stepped in it or tumped it over.

Back
Top Bottom