Chick feed to layer

BlueEyes51

Chirping
9 Years
Dec 17, 2014
Rough and Ready, California
I have four pullets, 2 EEs (one in pic) and 2 white pullets (breed? See pic), that are 13 weeks old now. I have been feeding them organic crumbles 22% chick feed. They went through it fast and I am almost out of the 40# bag I bought them. I doubt I will need a full 40# bag but I don't think the feed store has smaller bags.
They are free ranging now and should be getting plenty of greens and bugs besides the crumbles. If need be, I can start feeding them hard boiled eggs also.
In my research there has been a big discrepancy on when to change over from chick feed to layer feed. So here are my questions:
  • When is the soonest I can start them on the organic 18% layer pellet feed?
  • Will hard boiled eggs help compensate for the protein if I start to switch them to the layer feed? If so, how much do I feed them?
  • Or, am I stuck buying another 40# bag of organic crumbles 22% chick feed?🤔
Thank you in advance!👍🙂

DSC01088 copy 2.JPG

Buy more chick feed, they're too young for layer. I wouldn't feed layer until they're laying.
Okay... guess I am stuck buying more chick feed. 😑

Can you answer these question then?
  • Why wait until they are laying? I thought the change over was more age related?
  • They are 13 weeks old, when do you think is the soonest I can start them on the organic 18% layer pellet feed?
Thanks!🙂

Okay... guess I am stuck buying more chick feed. 😑

Can you answer these question then?
  • Why wait until they are laying? I thought the change over was more age related?
  • They are 13 weeks old, when do you think is the soonest I can start them on the organic 18% layer pellet feed?
Thanks!🙂
The change over is laying related, layer feed contains high calcium, which can harm non laying birds, not to mention, they're still growing and need extra protein. They won't be full size until about 9-10 months.
The earliest I'd switch is 18 weeks.

The change over is laying related, layer feed contains high calcium, which can harm non laying birds, not to mention, they're still growing and need extra protein. They won't be full size until about 9-10 months.
The earliest I'd switch is 18 weeks.
I appreciate the education.👍
I guess I should come here for my questions again instead of listening to the people at the feed store. sigh They were telling me to change over when I ran out of the bag of chick feed.🙄

I use chick feed here, all flock is $28, here.😱
You can certainly stay with chick/grower feed as well, won’t hurt them! I feed it to my girls when they molt, but All Flock is cheaper than chick feed here.

Did you all know Chewy.com sells some brands of chicken feed? Was a whole new day when I figured that out!

You can certainly stay with chick/grower feed as well, won’t hurt them! I feed it to my girls when they molt, but All Flock is cheaper than chick feed here.

Did you all know Chewy.com sells some brands of chicken feed? Was a whole new day when I figured that out!
Chick or meat bird feed is $22 vs all flock/raiser at $27. My neighbor gets chewy, I would except I buy it in large amounts.

Back
Top Bottom