Chick hatched with twisted neck and can’t walk

jade eastwood

Chirping
Feb 13, 2022
I had a chick start hatching 2 days ago and I noticed it had become stuck with its whole face out of the egg and not able to bring it back in to continue hatching out. I stepped in and assisted it. When I came back to check if it had hatched it had, but it was lying on its back with its neck twisted in a way it would be if it was still in the egg. Does this chick have wry neck and why can’t it walk? I’m not sure how it’s going to eat as I won’t be home all the time to feed it.

I had a chick start hatching 2 days ago and I noticed it had become stuck with its whole face out of the egg and not able to bring it back in to continue hatching out. I stepped in and assisted it. When I came back to check if it had hatched it had, but it was lying on its back with its neck twisted in a way it would be if it was still in the egg. Does this chick have wry neck and why can’t it walk? I’m not sure how it’s going to eat as I won’t be home all the time to feed it.
Here are some photos, it dried with a bit of membrane on its back and head so she looks a little bit scrappy, this was the morning after hatch

Attachments

• B70207DC-F029-452C-9E25-B6645198E7EF.jpeg
    B70207DC-F029-452C-9E25-B6645198E7EF.jpeg
    636.1 KB · Views: 18
  • EDCDFDEE-6EA2-4AEA-8C10-85DBF743DED9.jpeg
    EDCDFDEE-6EA2-4AEA-8C10-85DBF743DED9.jpeg
    429.7 KB · Views: 19
It sorta looks like wry neck. I had a Bantam Chick last spring come from the hatchery with wry neck(SO TINY!). I gave her poly-vi-sol liquid toddler vitamin(without iron) and crushed vitamin b12 and liquid vitamin E in a mash for 2 days before she was able to stand up straight at all, and I gave her that mixture another 3 days before she stopped twisting her neck and tucking it upside down. Now she's a beautiful little sebright that loves to hide tiny eggs all over the pasture 😍
Its at least worth a shot. My husband kept trying to tell me to cull Tipsy(lol!), but I didnt give up on her and shes 1 now, so I wish you the best of luck!
20220504_202549.jpg

It sorta looks like wry neck. I had a Bantam Chick last spring come from the hatchery with wry neck(SO TINY!). I gave her poly-vi-sol liquid toddler vitamin(without iron) and crushed vitamin b12 and liquid vitamin E in a mash for 2 days before she was able to stand up straight at all, and I gave her that mixture another 3 days before she stopped twisting her neck and tucking it upside down. Now she's a beautiful little sebright that loves to hide tiny eggs all over the pasture 😍
Its at least worth a shot. My husband kept trying to tell me to cull Tipsy(lol!), but I didnt give up on her and shes 1 now, so I wish you the best of luck!
View attachment 3407145
Thank you! I’m so glad yours is doing good, mine unfortunately passed away a day later ☹😢

View attachment 3407145
Just searched this and read your post! Did your chick kick around before she was able to stand? Was her neck floppy or could she hold it up? I had a hatch this morning and idk what’s goin on with it but it’s definitely off!

Back
Top Bottom