Chick isn't moving inside of the eggs anymore

chicken4prez

Free Ranging
6 Years
Jun 14, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Hi there, 2 nights ago I heard some peeping from a chick but now I can't hear it anymore. I checked on it this morning and it was moving and peeping but now I went to check since it wasn't making any progress (it hasn't broken through the egg) and it's not moving or peeping. What should I do? Should I create a small hole so it can breathe? It might already be dead but I want to make sure that there's something I can do before I let it go.

Thank you!

Most likely if you assist the chick won't make it but you can try. Maybe the chick is resting when you check it. Hold the egg to your ear and tap on it and see if you hear anything. Often times if the chick hasn't started to hatch it may still be absorbing the yolk.

Hi there, 2 nights ago I heard some peeping from a chick but now I can't hear it anymore. I checked on it this morning and it was moving and peeping but now I went to check since it wasn't making any progress (it hasn't broken through the egg) and it's not moving or peeping. What should I do? Should I create a small hole so it can breathe? It might already be dead but I want to make sure that there's something I can do before I let it go.

Thank you!

I had this happen. It was my first hatch. I thought by the time I got home it would have pipped externally. It did not and the duckling had died in the egg. I would recommend making a small hole in the air cell. Use a flashlight to candle while you do it if you can because you do not want to hit a vein or anything if there is one. It may or may not help at this point, but it certainly won't hurt.

Most likely if you assist the chick won't make it but you can try. Maybe the chick is resting when you check it. Hold the egg to your ear and tap on it and see if you hear anything. Often times if the chick hasn't started to hatch it may still be absorbing the yolk.
I did tap on it a few times. This morning I tapped and it would chirp but now I can't hear anything. I can't even see it breathing. :(

I had this happen. It was my first hatch. I thought by the time I got home it would have pipped externally. It did not and the duckling had died in the egg. I would recommend making a small hole in the air cell. Use a flashlight to candle while you do it if you can because you do not want to hit a vein or anything if there is one. It may or may not help at this point, but it certainly won't hurt.
Alright I'll go see.

Okay so I made a hole and the chick is dead. :( Thanks all for helping though!

I have another chick that is peeping inside and I don't want it to die too. Is there a time I should set for me to intervene if this happens again? I just feel bad because the chick seemed fine this morning and now it's dead.

Back
Top Bottom