Chick not growing or feathering out....

AuntNomi

Songster
7 Years
Aug 13, 2015
Callahan, Florida!
About 7 weeks ago my son got new chicks, an assortment as we like to have a few of each. We got them from the local feed store. 10 chicks altogether, and they are doing great. Only problem is he got a Buff Brahma that will not grow. It is still fuzzy, never feathered. Its wings are the tiniest wings I ever seen. It's body has gotten a tiny bit bigger. We have chicks we hatched that are 2 weeks old and they are way bigger then this chick. When we open the brooder door all the others end up flying out, she attempts, but falls. I have never seen anything like her and it just blows my mind. She runs and plays, eats, drinks, does everything completely normal, just will not grow or feather out.... Anyone ever had this issue? If so what is it and what happened in the long run? Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

That is interesting, so she's about 7 weeks old and still looks like a week old... That sounds like she has something wrong with the hormones that tell her to grow or she's not entirely viable. I had a Keet once that after a few weeks we realized had not grown AT ALL and was shortly thereafter trampled... Very sad and strange but it just never grew. There are dwarf rabbits born with double dwarf genes called peanuts that also do not grow or thrive. Likely the chick has something wrong with it but it may eventually develope a bit. Like in happy feet when that penguin did eventually look mostly grown...

Ok so sorry for not getting back in a timely manner we have had a death in the family and I just couldn't be home in daylight hours, or enough time to really get on here. So now after going out and trying to get pics I see that she has grown but it is VERY little. The pic of the single chick is the one that isn't really growing. The pic of the chick with the white chick are the same age. They were bought as day olds at the local feed store. The white one is so much bigger then the other. and then the ones with the black chick in the pics are the one that will not hardly grow and the black one I hatched out, it is about to be 4 weeks old, and the one not hardly growing is 8 weeks and a few days.
The chick in question behaves the same as the others its age, and is not bullied they all like each other and have always been together so no problems at all other then the size.

Are you sure it's a Brahma? At this point, he/she should have feathers on the legs and feet. And the beak is quite arched for a Brahma too. But either way, for 7 weeks, definitely a genetic defect. Sorry! There isn't much you can do.

Are you sure it's a Brahma? At this point, he/she should have feathers on the legs and feet. And the beak is quite arched for a Brahma too. But either way, for 7 weeks, definitely a genetic defect. Sorry! There isn't much you can do.

No I m not sure of the breed as my son did get them from the feed store and they really do not know breeds there. However I am just going off what they said, and it did have fuzzy legs to begin with when it was brand new and looked normal. Then it seems as that fuzz is gone now. I do not know what to think but I have been thinking genetic defect as well. I think the only thing I can do is just keep a good eye on the chick and watch for any signs it is beginning to have health problems, which at this time it seems to be doing well. I think it is adorable, and my son is in love with her. I just wish nothing was wrong with it. Thanks for the input I appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom