chick picking itself?

GoodEgg

Songster
12 Years
Feb 12, 2007
NW Florida
One of the RIR (I think) chicks started peeping loudly. When I went to check on them, she was in distress.

I found an abcess (looks like) on her back, and she keeps picking it herself, then crying when she does.

Does this happen? And what can I do for her? I pulled her out from the others and added her to the (10 gal) aquarium, which is a little crowded now with 5 chicks currently in there.

So many problems ... seems I am constantly busy with the sick ones. At least a couple of those are in better shape and I might return to the others soon.

The floppy chick still flops around, more frequently now.
sad.png
And the prolapsed banty is still prolapsed, but eats, drinks, and poops. I hope he will live.

Sigh ... I've raised all kinds of animals, but I never had so many needing special care with health problems before. This is too stressful ... it hurts to see them sick and hurting!

trish

I don't have any sage wisdom for you, but I'm sorry you are going through this. Sounds like a really tough run with your group.

Out of curiousity, are these shipped chicks? I'm just wondering if maybe they had a REALLY rough ship.

Again, I'm sorry that this has been so tough. You are a caring and dedicated person to have so many down and still find time to doctor them all. At some point they will pull through all of this, and things will get much easier.

-Meghan

Thanks Meghan,

Yes, they are shipped chicks. And I'm a bit upset with the post office. I don't have a phone, so I went to the post office last Thursday to talk to them about the chicks' arrival. They were expected on Monday, but I know they sometimes arrive a day or so early or late.

They gave me a phone number to call, assured me they keep chicks warm, and promised a note in my mailbox since carriers don't bring them. They were also supposed to call my work.

I received no note, and no phone call. They said they hadn't received them when I checked with them. Monday morning, still no note and no phone call but I went anyway just in case. Then they said chicks arrived on Saturday or Sunday.

Sigh ... I am upset ... why didn't they tell me when I asked, or notify me in some way as they promised??? They were all alive when I picked them up, but by the end of the first day I had one dead and 4 in the "hospital" cage.

So I guess maybe they DID have a rough time, being in that box too long. Poor little guys.

I'm glad 80% of them are doing so well. I just hope no new problems crop up.

The picked ones are better. The tiny prolapsed one still looks the same, and the flopping one had fewer seizures last night.

I have a few more in the big brooder that don't look right ... not fluffy? They look like their feathers got wet. Their behavior is fine though, so I am leaving them with the others and watching closely since I don't have room in the aquarium.

Thanks for the encouragement. Things really are rough right now. I'm going through custody court, we found a tiny kitten who is still on formula, I'm fighting a terrible cold, and now these chicks need all this care. I do thank you for the encouragement. It's nice to hope that they will grow and be better soon.

I have to admit that I am enjoying them as well though. Especially that Japanese banty ... I have several banties but that one is SOOOOO tiny. It's hard to believe a chicken can be so small! He's a fighter though, so I hope he makes it.

And their personalities are emerging already. Not to mention they are all so CUTE!!! They make me smile, and they are worth all the trouble.

Thanks,
trish

Just an update ... that chick with an abcess now has something wrong with one leg. She won't put any weight on it. She tries to hop on the good leg with the opposite wing out for balance, and she lies down with the bad leg stretched out, though she can move it up and down.

I'm just giving her TLC and hoping it will get better. She seems happy otherwise, and the others in the aquarium aren't picking her.

And I think I have 2 pasty butts, but at least I have read about that and know what to do about it.

I guess I'm getting "experience" my first time out, lol.

At least the seizuring chick, after worsening again, is now better again. Close to 24 hours with no seizure.

trish

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom