Chick Poop... Worms or Cocci?

AmericaunaMama

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 4, 2013
Tampa, FL
I noticed an unusually dark poop on my carpet this morning from a chick that likes to perch on the brooder box. My first thought was maybe dark from blood (cocci) but when I wiped it up, it didn't look very bloody on the paper towel. Same thing later tonight, very dark poop, but only brown on the paper towel.

Just now, I went to put them to bed and noticed two droppings in the box that were red, but on closer inspection, the red was really pink and looked like worms. I have read about the intestinal shedding, which can also be cocci related, but couldn't it just be worms?

I have also read there is a very strong smell associated with cocci, and honestly I have noticed a more pungent odor than usual, I was just blaming it on the ducks in the brooder next door.

I clean the water a few times a day and constantly check the feeder for contamination. I also completely change the shavings every day if I notice any moisture, or every three days at the LEAST.

Any recommendations would be helpful.

I noticed an unusually dark poop on my carpet this morning from a chick that likes to perch on the brooder box. My first thought was maybe dark from blood (cocci) but when I wiped it up, it didn't look very bloody on the paper towel. Same thing later tonight, very dark poop, but only brown on the paper towel.

Just now, I went to put them to bed and noticed two droppings in the box that were red, but on closer inspection, the red was really pink and looked like worms. I have read about the intestinal shedding, which can also be cocci related, but couldn't it just be worms?

I have also read there is a very strong smell associated with cocci, and honestly I have noticed a more pungent odor than usual, I was just blaming it on the ducks in the brooder next door.

I clean the water a few times a day and constantly check the feeder for contamination. I also completely change the shavings every day if I notice any moisture, or every three days at the LEAST.

Any recommendations would be helpful.

Go with your gut feeling, it probably is coccidiosis. Do you have any Corid? If not, go to TSC and get some, it's in the cattle section.

Hey Everybody!!!

Thanks so much for the input. I did try to check the poop chart, but somebody needs to make one specifically for chick poop. The ones that looked cocci seemed to have more of a "fizz" in them than some of the more liquid droppings I've seen from this girl.

The sample I collected last night to take up to the feed store was folded up in a paper towel, so it didn't work so well for photos. I waited around all day for another suspicious looking drop so I could get some pics, but I think (like many others before me, I'm sure) I may have overreacted. There was a LOT of intestinal shedding in both of her poops I picked up last night, but she seems OK today. And as scary as the dark ones were, from what I did find on the chart, that seems normal, too.

If any of them were acting sickly today, I would have jumped for the corid, but I'm not sure if it's needed. Is there any harm for treating on a "just on case" basis? Does it effect future immunity should they actually get sick?

Thanks Again!

Back
Top Bottom