Chick quarantine... how long should it be?

AgnesGray

Free Ranging
5 Years
Mar 8, 2019
Ohio, US
My Coop
My Coop
Hello - Looking for information on how long to quarantine baby hatchery chicks from chicks I hatched at home. All are less than a week old currently. Thanks

Where the hatchery chicks vaccinated?
IMO :hmm The concern here would be your chick "infecting" the hatchery ones IF they were under a broody. Hatchery chicks are incubated, hatched & packed. Shipped chicks are stressed from shipping, hence you may loose a few from the stress, you may want to pick up some Sav A Chick from the feed store. I'd keep them separated for at least a week before adding to your incubated ones. However I'm not experienced with this matter so hang in there until you get more opinions/advice. Have fun with your babies

I guess I should clarify.... The chicks I hatched at home were in an incubator. The chicks from the hatchery were not vaccinated. Everyone is getting vitamins and "appears" to be in good health this time. (I did lose two within a day of arrival last time I ordered from a hatchery, but so far so good this time.)

I'd love it if everyone could grow up together, but don't want to be too hasty with introductions if it means a health risk.

4 weeks minimum. Proper quarantine is very work intensive and may be impossible for people with limited space.
Some diseases won't necessarily show during a quarantine period but even a not particularly well managed separation may just alert you to problems before they become disasters.

I guess I should clarify.... The chicks I hatched at home were in an incubator. The chicks from the hatchery were not vaccinated. Everyone is getting vitamins and "appears" to be in good health this time. (I did lose two within a day of arrival last time I ordered from a hatchery, but so far so good this time.)

I'd love it if everyone could grow up together, but don't want to be too hasty with introductions if it means a health risk.
Some wont read your clarification, or even your first post, before responding....but....
IMO, no need to quarantine.

Some wont read your clarification, or even your first post, before responding....but....
IMO, no need to quarantine.
Yeah, happens all the time at work too, so I kind of expect that. 😁 It's there for anyone to read if they wish and I thank you for doing so. :highfive:

I appreciate the replies though and after contemplating pros and cons, we've decided to introduce them tomorrow and raise them together. The minimal stress on them to introduce as babies is worth the seemingly low risk of illness at this point.

Back
Top Bottom