Chick sexing project

I have pictures of a pair of LBs from day 2 +

I think it would be helpful to show all chicks as they mature too, not just the sexable at hatch. That way people will know what to look for as they mature.

Count me in. I take pics of my girlz every Saturday since they were born. So i have my blue and my black Orpingtons and my 2 Barnvelders growth in pics. I wanted to do this cuz im a first time feather baby mom. Its obvious tht in the 2 groups there are diffenent growth differences and i cant wait to see whos the gangsta(rooster)
wink.png
and whos the hen.

Quote:
This is the best news I've heard all day. What a great resource! I just perused the Lt. Sussex pics. Where the sexes ever identified on Ghost and Summer? I don't think it was posted (or I missed it).

Thanks for the continued interest!

Beckyhsinglsc:- good idea - there's nothing to stop the run of photos shown for any breed extending to maturity (and beyond!) if there are interesting features to show
misty skye:- welcome aboard! And if it turns out that you have gangsta Barnevelders I can't wait to see! Our Ember has turned out to be a lady but she's as quiet as a mouse, I find hard to imagine this breed being rowdy at all!
nincomcoop: - good name! And I haven't posted the sexes of either Summer or Ghost yet coz I didn't want to jinx it, but it seems that they are both ladies! If so, we've been spectacularly lucky with our first 7 birds - all 7 female! And our Faverolle is female too, we do have one male (our Orp/Leghorn cross) and we're waiting to see what our bantam Silkie turns into. I'll post updated photos of our Light Sussex girls (crossed fingers and touched wood) soon, I promise!

great idea! I am kind of crazy about taking pictures. I have various chicks to adult pictures. I have many EE, leghorn pullets, a Ancona (pictures from day one) pullet, new hamphsire, Black sex link and some more

Example. Ancona pullet (stumped many on here, I have been told she is a roo many times.)
**1 week***
dottie-1.jpg

dottie-2.jpg

***3 weeks***
DSC_0004-2.jpg

***4 weeks***
DSC_0012-3.jpg

DSC_0126.jpg

****5weeks***
DSC_0093.jpg

DSC_0069.jpg

***7 months***
Image10.jpg

***9 months**
Image5-1.jpg

Last edited:
Hi babyrnlc!

Thanks for your response. The pics of Dottie are great - if you can tell me what age each of the photos was taken at then I'll throw together an Ancona section based on these photos. I have to admit that with head gear like that I'd have assumed she was a roo as well from the photos! I think that, for each breed that features in the sexing project, as well as photos it will be useful to write a short paragraph summarising the development of chicks of either gender.

Best wishes,

Mark

Hi Perpetual Learner,

Try following these instructions to upload your photos to BYC:

1. If you haven't done so already, transfer your photos from your camera to your computer
2. (optional) Change the filename of each photo so that it has the breed, age and (if known) the gender of the bird in it
3. Log on to BYC
4. Click on Community Forum in the index at the left
5. Click on Uploads in the blue menu bar near the top of the page (just below "BackYard Chickens Forum")
6. Click on Browse...
7. Navigate to and click on the first photo you want to upload
8. Click Open
9. Click Submit
10. Done!

Your photo should upload in a matter of seconds. You can then include it in a post (or on one of your publically viewable BYC pages) by opening it (double click on it) and then dragging the cursor over it so that it is highlighted, copying it (CTRL + c), opening the page, thread comment or message where you want to paste it, and pasting it (CTRL + v).

Hope that works for you!

Mark

Back
Top Bottom