chick starter- how long?

mrkep

Songster
12 Years
Mar 10, 2010
Richwood , Ohio
My Buckeye pullets are 4 months old. Today we found 8 eggs. We changed their feed from starter to all flock this month. Should we start them on layer feed? I remember reading that feeding layer feed too early could damage the kidneys.

My Buckeye pullets are 4 months old. Today we found 8 eggs. We changed their feed from starter to all flock this month. Should we start them on layer feed? I remember reading that feeding layer feed too early could damage the kidneys.
it's true that layer feed too early can stunt growth, delay onset of lay, and yes even cause a certain type of gout and kidney failure (in birds somehow genetically predisposed for the last parts of that statement).

Layer feed is lower in protein (often around 16%) and amino acids while being higher in calcium (around 4-5%) than most flock raiser or all flock type feeds.

Buckeye are dual purpose birds.

Layer feed is formulated to be the bare minimum nutrients required for a light bodied layer like leghorn to stay in laying condition (longevity irrelevant) and under controlled conditions that don't include treats that might diminish said nutrients.

My first year with layers, I used medicated starter and layer feed.. being told that my birds would die if I didn't. However after learning the differences and also expanding my adventure.. I ended up with molters, broody's, juveniles, and roosters, etc.. Some folks switch feed seasonally just for molt. The difference seen in the molting ladies was convincing enough.. I never switched back again, now using "flock raiser" from start to finish.. but as noted do provide free choice calcium source (oyster shell, used egg shells, etc) on the side for active layers. Most all chickens will have a full molt in their second winter.. which *might* be next fall for birds starting lay this early in the year (in my experience).

With one final note as an avid hatcher.. 22% protein showed the highest hatch rate in studies.. which to me says more micro nutrients in the eggs which means more nutrients in my family who eats them.

Okay, I was mistaken because there is another thing I can't help but mention.. that is that all things immune system related start with.. well, genetics first.. but nutrition is next and SO key.

I'm not here to fear monger though or say my way is the right way.

How many birds do you have total? Was that a hidden nest or in a lay box?

The general recommendation I've seen for when to switch to layer is when 80% of the birds have come into production.

Otherwise switch when you're ready. We do our best and still some things will happen!

I remember reading that feeding layer feed too early could damage the kidneys.
It is not so much that starting them on Layer food too early is the potential problem. It is more that chickens (male or female) that are not laying can possibly be damaged by the amount of calcium in Layer, especially if Layer is all they eat. The more they forage for their food or the more low calcium treats they get the less the risk. It is not an overnight thing, it is an average over a longer time period. Not every non-laying chicken has problems even if Layer is all they eat. You are correct in saying it could damage them, "could" does not mean it definitely will.

Layer is meant for a laying flock. The commercial operations have only hens in their flocks and they are all going to be the same age. They have worked out ways to assure that every hen in those henhouses that might hold 5,000 laying hens get what they need to lay efficiently without the food bullies getting more than their share. They don't feed treats. If their specially bred hybrid hens get more than 16% protein they are more susceptible to medical issues. Feeding a 16% Layer is an integral part of how they achieve all that.

Your Buckeyes are not those hybrid layers. You don't manage them the same way as the commercial operations. Some people have access to 18% Layer feed but that is not available at every feed store. A lot of people with backyard flocks feed the 16% Layer and do quite well. We all manage them differently for different goals in different circumstances so different things work. There are a lot of unknowns here.

My flock almost always has juveniles in it and has males that don't need the extra calcium because they don't lay eggs. Mine forage for a lot of what they eat and get garden and kitchen excesses and waste. I don't have the ability to micromanage every bite they eat even if I wanted to. I feed a 16% low calcium Grower and offer oyster shells on the side. That way the ones that need the extra calcium can get it, the ones that don't need it don't have to eat it since it is offered on the side. To me this takes all the worry about calcium out of feeding them.

I use flock raiser crumble period. Oyster shell is in cup feeders by itself.
Now with my new flock at the point of laying, i am also adding supplements to water and food.
Water has apple cider vinegar at lest 60% of the time and electrolytes once a week when temperatures over 90*.
With food, they get some 10 way scratch feed in the run every morning. https://www.jandjbagging.com/SHOW-STOPPER-SCRATCH-50BG
Once a week they get 10% of their flock raiser replaced with calf manna pro. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...MIq-C7i6vo_AIVvhCtBh0McAPbEAQYAiABEgKNhvD_BwE
Will it make a big difference ? I'm not sure but it is not a big bother to me and it can help so its what i'm doing.

Back
Top Bottom