Chick unable to walk

Helpless Hen

Hatching
May 8, 2024
Hi, we are first time hatchers and put some eggs under a broody chicken. We had 3 hatch yesterday. 1 however still isn't able to walk properly and unable to come out from under mum as the other 2 are. Its like the chicks legs are still scrunched up and stuck like when they were in the shell.

Any tips welcomes.

Hi, we are first time hatchers and put some eggs under a broody chicken. We had 3 hatch yesterday. 1 however still isn't able to walk properly and unable to come out from under mum as the other 2 are. Its like the chicks legs are still scrunched up and stuck like when they were in the shell.

Any tips welcomes.
Welcome To BYC

Can you post photos of the chick and it's legs?

Feel the joints, are they out of place or can you feel the tendon has slipped?
Any swelling of the joints?
Any twisting of the legs or feet?

If the chick is with the broody hen and is unable to move/walk to food/water, then you will need to move the chick and brood it yourself until you can determine what is wrong. Provide the chick with a heat source and work on getting it to eat/drink. Give 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily.

Sometimes chicks that hatch with leg issues or something else going on and will not make it, but hopefully this is not the case.

A chick needs time to recover after the hatch. Some need more time to recover than others. Best leave the weaker chick under the broody until she leaves the nest with the other 2 chicks.

If the chick comes out, make sure the floor where you put the feed and water is not slippery. Give this chick a few drops of water with electrolytes on the tip of your finger if it doesn’t get along very well.

Last edited:
Welcome To BYC

Can you post photos of the chick and it's legs?

Feel the joints, are they out of place or can you feel the tendon has slipped?
Any swelling of the joints?
Any twisting of the legs or feet?

If the chick is with the broody hen and is unable to move/walk to food/water, then you will need to move the chick and brood it yourself until you can determine what is wrong. Provide the chick with a heat source and work on getting it to eat/drink. Give 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily.

Sometimes chicks that hatch with leg issues or something else going on and will not make it, but hopefully this is not the case.
Hi,

We have tried to do some 'physio' and chick didn't seem in any kind of pain. I'm not sure what I'm feeling with the joints but I can check. Chick has now been bought inside as couldn't get out from under the hen at all and we think it was starting to be bullied. We have also now hobbled the legs. I've attached a pic of how she sits. It won't allow me to upload a video for some reason. It's almost like her body is too heavy to get up ontop of her legs. I will say she was better at sitting up and moving slightly better after this hobble and 'physio'

Attachments

• Snapchat-1292348294.jpg
    Snapchat-1292348294.jpg
    533.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Snapchat-1994332890.jpg
    Snapchat-1994332890.jpg
    464 KB · Views: 1
Hi,

We have tried to do some 'physio' and chick didn't seem in any kind of pain. I'm not sure what I'm feeling with the joints but I can check. Chick has now been bought inside as couldn't get out from under the hen at all and we think it was starting to be bullied. We have also now hobbled the legs. I've attached a pic of how she sits. It won't allow me to upload a video for some reason. It's almost like her body is too heavy to get up ontop of her legs. I will say she was better at sitting up and moving slightly better after this hobble and 'physio'
For video, upload to youtube and provide us a link.

Hopefully the hobble will work. I'd also start giving B-Complex. Dissolve 1/4 tablet in a small amount of water and give her drops of the vitamin water throughout the day.

Do try to encourage her to eat/drink on her own too. Wet mushy feed is good to give.

Do you have something to keep the chick warm? It needs about 35C /95F now. You can keep it against your body for warmth too if you pick it up. A heat plate is easiest. A hot water bottle in a towel (measure the temp) will do for as long as you havent got one.

Keep drops with very wet food or water with electrolytes against the beak when its to weak to eat by itself.

A cuddle/teddy bear is sometimes used as a surrogate for a mother.

Good luck! 🤞

Update - we took her to a wildlife centre last night for someone to look at her. Turns out she has a dislocated knee cap 😞 it has been strapped up to try and put it back in place, but it's looking unlikely she will be able to make it through.

Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions

Update - we took her to a wildlife centre last night for someone to look at her. Turns out she has a dislocated knee cap 😞 it has been strapped up to try and put it back in place, but it's looking unlikely she will be able to make it through.

Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions
What a splendid action! Even if the chick doesnt make it, you did everything you could. 💜

Back
Top Bottom